Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: R. Welch is dragging me to the Dark Side!  (Read 1732 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
R. Welch is dragging me to the Dark Side!
« on: March 11, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
He's got me thinking.  I have watched his tape 2 and prodded his legion on here with questions.........and I'm dialed in. I was a pauser anyway......hardest thing for me has been quit looking at arrow under my eye and focus on the dot. Of coarse thats the same as shooting open rifle sights.....sights blurry-target clear.... I have changed my arrows around......What has been the biggest surprise is how Instintive this shot is.....I thought it was a gap technique..........it is not....The big reason i tink it is so simple is it lessons the arrow angle of defraction from lower split finger/corner of mouth nock to under the eye nock......it just makes sense...your eye is back sight and arrow is the gun barrel...25 yards and in..your brain calulates with a little 1 arrow practice............
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Mourning Wood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: R. Welch is dragging me to the Dark Side!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Amen to that joebuck.I never dreamed of changing to another shooting style but anyone that has that kind of following and support is hard to ignore.I don't have the tapes or his schooling but I'm trying the three under draw and shooting based on what I've read on here.It's been fun to try and incorporate a new style and I've seen some improvement.It's still too new to claim it the best thing since sliced bread but it's not too bad either.Still working on everything!!ED
Jack of all trades,Expert at none!!

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Joey I don't gap or rifle sight down the shaft but I've found the under the eye position to be the most conducive to consistent shooting for me. You Southern Gothics tear me up; why do think this is the dark side?       Grant

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
I use to run all the Traditional Bowhunter of Ga shoots in the early to mid 90's. 3 fingers under was very unpopular then amoungst our breathen then. 1 or 2 guys would always come up to the booth and b!tch about some guy shooting 3 fingers under....Mr. Quillian had laid the ground work for the new IBO Longbow rules and he was against 3 finger under so his oppionion went along way down there in the peach orchard. But we recognized early on that the three finger crowd would NOT hurt our tournaments and was of no real advantage in "score" so we changed our rules from IBO to 1 finger has to touch the nock. Luckly our TBG friend and memebr ,Mr. John Hood led the charge by changing his Southeastern Tournament which attracted around 4-500 shooters. Well I was sitting at our TBG booth and a fellow came buy and chewd my butt out about the rule change and we had now "Entered into the Darkside"..."we would kill the sport"...i gave him $2.00 to go buy a hotdog..and that was the last i heard of that.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
I just cannot warm up to using 3-under.  I like hunting with Merc Speed Nocks and from the moment I grab my arrow from the quiver until I loose it from the string, I maintain complete control using split finger. I give up too much control of the arrow using 3-under.  I find it dangerous when hunting  with a sharp broadhead and I find it too risky for dry fires while chasing small game.  I hunt some fairly rough terrain and for that reason alone, I prefer using split finger.  In addition, I dislike the added noise.  My split finger longbows are quiet without any string silencing material.  Shooting 3-under increases the sound of my longbows a minimum of 3-fold.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Those are good points Daddy Bear. However most my hunting is out of treestand for big game with my arrow nocked on the string held by an arrow holder rubber ,hanging on bow holder. I have dry fired 20 to 1 more mercury nocks than other tighter fitting nocks. For some reason i find the mercury plastic inferior to todays newer nocks..just my observation though. Noise is not much factor with me..I shoot my deer and turkeys with 18 yards and my 3 finger setup appears to me not any added niose. Plus I'm shooting a heavy  heavy arrow and i made my bow out of Osage and ebony. So my bow has alot of mass weight plus a quiver ....that really helps in noise........deer move at the slightest bit of sound and i do not think a split finger noise versus a 3 finger noise will make any difference at 18 yards..........i have shot split finger for 20plus years......experimenting with 3 under has really fun the last couple of days

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Joebuck, I started this game too late to get to the southeastern shoot. My good buddy John Dill(Kanati Quivers) always talks about what a great shoot it was and how the Hood family did a great job in hosting it. Wish I could have been there.
 On the Rick Welch topic, Ive learned alot by watching his videos and talking to him on the phone. never met the guy in person but will someday. I just got a dakota longbow in the mail today. already have 2 of his recurves. no complaints. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Don't get Joebuck started on the Southeastern thing   "[dntthnk]"
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Rick can teach you to use split finger ya dont have to change, I ask him...Im going to let him work with me.   :thumbsup:  that southeastern thing ...mmm mmmm spin that yarn Joebuck...  :goldtooth:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
I've been trying a little split finger high under the eye but you lose about an inch compensating for the index finger....

Hogdancer , please tell us some more about your 12Th Pig Gig!

Batman..Hood family were great...their son, John, who put on the shoot. Was/is one of the first Traditional Archery 3-D superstars...He is still the finest natural instintive shot i have ever known...great guy too.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Remeber those running targets, might been the Howard Hill shoot... :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
You ever get your name carved on the rock? DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
Well, you talked me into it, I just ordered the Koolaid, er, video from Kustom King.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
3 under? BLASPHEMY!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
You got that right Mr Don. I can't believe Joey is going thru with this nonsense!
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
You fellas are a trip!!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Just call it my defiant youth! my experimental stage. Whats funny is RC went Dark and didn't tell anyone! he was scared Biggie would get mad.

Offline Cal Bergsma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
You know DaddyBear, there is no reason you couldn't keep shooting split finger with Rick's style. I believe you could incorporate all the other aspects of his style and technique and just modify it a little to best suit you with the way you like to anchor. WHen I switched to 3 under it was quite awkward at first and I thought it would definetly hurt me in certain hunting situations, but I promise you that if you just stick with it and shoot thousands of arrows 3 under like I have, it will become as natural and as controlled as split finger and it will not handicap you at all.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
Carl, what is your arrow setup like? Did you have to move your feather further down the shaft. I thinking this is so criticall to have feather placement right because i tend to overdraw the bow which pulls the shaft from under my eye and makes me shoot left.

Offline Cal Bergsma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
Yeah Joebuck, position of the cock feather is critical. I had to scoot my feathers foward just a little so that when I was at full anchor the tip of the cock feather is just barely touching my nose. If the feather was jamming into your nose it would be distracting. Also, you probably will have to turn the nock slightly up or down depending on where your nose sits on your face.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©