Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Hitting left all of a sudden  (Read 1100 times)

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
Hitting left all of a sudden
« on: March 11, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Man, this is frustrating! all of a sudden, Im hitting left of the point of aim, no matter what bow/arrow combo I use. Im assuming its a form issue. any immediate thoughts?

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hitting left all of a sudden
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
Besides torquing issue,,,,,assuming your a righty - a stretched string could stiffen ya arrow and nock point out?
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Reasons for hitting left (DAMHIK):

(Assuming you are a right-hand shooter)

1.  Shoulders pointing to the left of target
2.  Not keeping slight bend in bow arm elbow
3.  Dominant eye not centered over arrow
4.  Arrow too stiff or strike plate too far to left
5.  Your head moves when you come to anchor and pushes your string hand to the right, which moves the shot to the left
6.  You are not using a solid anchor against your face, and thus the back of the arrow is too far to the right, throwing the shot to the left
7.  Not focusing exclusively on target, and the arrow is catching your attention in your peripheral vision.  The arrow point will naturally be to the right of the target in your peripheral vision, and you are unconsciously moving the point over toward the target, thus moving the impact to the left
8.  Not coming to full draw.  Your string forearm is pointing to the left of the target when you release

Believe me, I've tried 'em all, and they all work pretty well if you want to shoot left....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Ned

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
I have had that problem. One not mentioned and may be to simple. If you are wearing clothing with a left hand shirt pocket with a flap you may be catching that. More likely to be one or more of the reasons McDave listed above. Good luck,

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
#3 from McDave...your may be overdrawing which moves arrow from center of eye to side of face.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Steve Gabriel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
Also, check youre brace height. If you're string has stretched a bit and your brace height has dropped the bow will act as if hass a slightly lighter draw weight.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Had this problem this past weekend with a bow I don't shoot frequently and realized that with the heavier limbs and riser I was dropping my bow arm and the top limb to the right on release.  Consiously holding the bow until arrow impacted the target fixed the problem for me.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I agree with Stinger........a constant battle for me. I worked on that yesterday.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
This is my number one form problem...and it's not any of the causes listed above.  I use a deep hook on the bow string...right down in the first finger joint.  If I let my string hand clench up I stick those string fingers straight out, moving the tail of the arrow farther away from my face.  Relax my hand and they curl a bit, bringing the tail of the arrow back in closer.  Result...almost every arrow four inches to the left at 18-20 yards.  Very irritating.

It's a challenge to keep soft hands without losing tension.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Big Fisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Did you recently increase your brace height???

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Fingers are a hook, push your drawing elbow back, maintain tension in your back muscles, refuse to hold, do NOT let go.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Post a video
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the input folks. Ill post a video tommorrow

Offline rock_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
I also have had that problem, and for me it happens when I move my head back a bit when I reach anchor.  Don't ask me why I do it.  When I keep my head straight, the arrow is dead on.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
If you are hitting both right on sometimes and left sometimes, it may be that you dont have a consistant dominate eye.

Or it could be as MCDave said.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
We are gettign into the land of 1000 suggestions here, but try turning yoru head to the target.  If I let my head turn too much, it's like my dominant right eye weakens and I start shooting left.

Two eyes straight on the target and the problem goes away.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Jeff, I thin k you hit the nail on the head. I have fallen into a habit of not getting my eye over the shaft somehow. I just started to "tilt" my head in abit, geting my eye over the shaft, and that seemed to clear it up!

Thanks folks!

Offline Potoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
I do that too. It happens yearly while I tune up and then gets better but I have to conscientiously aim to the right. This only happens w my recurve and never w my compound. I'm sure it has to do with some of the things McDave lists. I am looking forward to what you came up with to fix it.
Like it says on the can...'concentrate'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©