Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 3 under questtion  (Read 1042 times)

Offline goosespirit

• Trad Bowhunter
3 under questtion
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
I have recently swithed from split to three under, and am having a hard time keeping my arrow on the shelf during the draw.  Any tips?

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 under questtion
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
Cant, soft fingers.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
Keep upward pressure on the nock.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Hi Mike,  How you been?

I've shot 3-under forever--I think.  When I get ready to draw, I slide my finger up to the nock, then, bring it down about 1/16".  It never contacts the nock. You could rotate you hand "in" a bit.  That way, when you draw you actually torque the string into the riser.

Offline Mark Hedges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Make sure you are using a deep hook on the string.  The string should be in the first finger joint.

If you are using a glove, expecially a really stiff one, consider changing to a tab.

Also make sure your nocks fit correctly.  When you have an arrow nocked you should be able to rotate the string without moving the arrow.

Offline goosespirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Thanks guys, all great suggestions.  Jim, great to hear from you.  Got any big hunts planned this year?  I am heading out to Montana for my first archery elk hunt in september, so am definately looking forward to that.  I will let you know how I make out with the new suggestions.

Mike

Offline Cal Bergsma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Goosespirit, when I first switched to 3 under I was a little clumsy and had a few problems with the arrow coming off the rest too, but like I have said before, give it enough time and you will become so used to it that this will stop happening. Also, it really helped me to switch to a 3 under tab which has a little leather tab on the top finger which prevents you finger from pinching the arrow causing it to possibly come off the rest.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Try this:
Often the arrow coming off the shelf is a result of increasing the finger pressure as you draw, thus rotating the string and the arrow away from and off the shelf. Concentrate on keeping the hook of your fingers relaxed or even slightly straightening your fingers as you draw to rotate the string toward the sight window. The feeling is like your fingers are getting slightly straighter as you draw. The advantage to this is that it also tends to give you a cleaner release.I learned this many years ago and it is second nature to me now.
Give it a try.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
I try and keep the back of the drawing hand in line with the target from the second I hold the string until I release. I find there isn't any torque on the string this way. Torque is what will pull it off the shelf most times.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Use a second nock set slightly under the arrow. It achieves the same thing that Jim suggested.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
knobby,

That's a good tip which I forgot to mention.  I always tie on a nock set about 1/8" under too.  Sometimes, shooting 3-under the nock can slip down the string during the shot.  Some fellows will shoot an arrow high now and again and wonder why.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©