Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Instinctive Shootong and Tuning  (Read 851 times)

Offline Mark-R

• Trad Bowhunter
Instinctive Shootong and Tuning
« on: March 11, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
I just got my newest longbow and haven't really gotten down to the business of tuning.  However, a question did pop into my head while shooting my new bow (for fun and to stretch the string).  I do shoot instinctively and with this new bow I'm shooting 3" high and 3" left.

Now, when I do start tuning, how do I know if the tune of the bow/arrows is 3" high and 3" left OR if that is my brain/hand/eye coordination putting the arrows there?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Instinctive Shootong and Tuning
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
I seriously doubt that it is a tuning prob.  You are just getting to know the bow-- If you are truely shooting instinctive, your mind/body will automatically make the adjustment after a while.
Make a conscious effort to shoot low and right 3" --  Also I have found that w/ long bows in particular, the slights change in hand grip, can have dramatic effects.  I know, for me personally, that if I do not get the palm of my hand flat on the grip, I will shoot left-- with some bows this is as much as a foot on a 15yd. shot!-  You'll get'er figured out, soon enough--

Offline brmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
I am also a new shooter and have had similar problems.  However as Chuck said, the slightest change in form can have a big impact.  Have been shooting for about a month now, almost everyday and am just now developing a form that is comfortable and consistent.

Offline Col

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
If you're truly instinctive, your mind & hand will adjust through practice.  You've got one thing going for you; consistency!

One way to see just how instinctive you are shooting is to shoot, from odd distances, during the dark of the moon at a target illuminated by a flashlight, downrange, and you cannot see the point of your arrow when drawn.  If you totally blow-it, you're probably more of an instinctive-gap shooter.  That's good to know!

Insofar as tuning goes, it's always beneficial to eliminate problems that come from the "toos": too much or too little in the way of spine, nock point, brace height, etc.
Shooting with feeling since 1976 & luvin' every minute of it.

Thanks Dad!

Offline Mark-R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
I'm not really new to shooting and I have a pretty consistant form.  I've always shot instinctively and never really thought about it.  But after reading Tony Camera's book, it just made me think.  I'm probably just over thinking it.  What Chuck says actually makes a lot of sense to me.

Offline Mark-R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »
That's a good idea about the flashlight/target.  That'll pretty much tell me how instictively I really shoot.  Insofar as daylight goes I've never conciously noticed the tip, but it is there to see if I want to, whether I know it or not.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
If you're shooting the right spine, try canting the bow a little more (or less if you're a lefty).
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
Without tuning, you will will never know if it is you or your setup.

Steve

Offline DJTJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
it doesnt really matter where you are hitting for tuning you are only need to compare the groups of bare and fletched shafts and where they hit relative to oneanother.  check out ol adcocks site for all the details.  once you have them tuned then you casn adjust to have them hit where you need to

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by SteveB:
Without tuning, you will will never know if it is you or your setup.

Steve
I was just going to suggest that. Personally, I refuse to shoot a bow that I need to mentally adjust for. I did that once several years ago -- bought a backup bow that shot about 8" right of my regular bow at 20 yards.

It was no problem in my back yard or at the range, so I figured I'd take it hunting. When a deer stopped broadside I forgot to mentally adjust. The end result was the one and only deer I've even had to finish off the next morning.

I sold that bow the next week.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
The way you "know" is shooting fletched field tips in combination with bare shafts or wide BH's..."Fletched" field/target tips go close to where you "point" them, bare or wide BH's will not. If bare/BH's/fletched field tips group together, you are tuned no matter where "you" are shooting them....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline FLTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Mark: Had the same problem. Last weekend at the TBOF I got my First longbow from Mike Treadway. When I took it to the range I was shooting to the left. Like you I wasn't sure if it was the arrows or me getting use to the bow. Even though I had the recuve I have shot for the last 20 years I was determind to shoot my new longbow. On the compatition range I missed 5 out the first 10 Targets. I stuck with it and by the time I was done with the first round I was no longer shoot to the leftbut hitting where i was looking. I also shot this weekend and shoot one of my best rounds. I would be worried more if you were shooting all over the place. If you are grouping your arrows it should take only a short time for your mind and hand to adjust. Mark

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
Mark,

Are you "off" about the same amount as you move back and forth between ten and thirty yards?

If you are consistently a few inches left at longer distances too, it's the fur-covered computer.  If the amount you are "off" gets progressivley worse as you stretch to longer distances, it's time to strip off some fletches and do some tuning.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©