Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: fighting a bad release  (Read 903 times)

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
fighting a bad release
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
i know this is probably the wrond place but was wondering if going up in poundage helps to get a cleaner release--without overbowing myself.  i cant seem to get the release down yet.  i shoot 3 under with a damascus glove.  i have tried the 3 under tab and it would cut me every time i shot.

Offline bjordnolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fighting a bad release
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
If the rest of your form is the same and you keep back tension then the higher draw weight will rip the string out of your fingers more cleanly.
Eat Moose 12000 wolves can't be wrong.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
Yeah, for me the heavier bows(60-70#'s) are easier to shoot accuratly,especially at ditances over 25 yards. Not sure if its the release or the flatter trajectory though. I dont really notice this though until I get down to bows in upper 40's.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
I'm struggling too with a clean release. Try to stop shooting distance for awhile and just do close bale or blind bale shooting. Just work on a relaxed release. Do this for a couple of shooting sessions. Then slowly work back in distance. -Steve

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Just push with your bow arm.  90% of the time release problems are the shooter not maintaining tension through the shot.  

If you are "anchoring" your bow arm on target by maintaining the sensation of push towards your spot, it's very difficult to mess up your release.

I'm not an advocate of using heavier poundage to clean up a release.  Down that road lies short-drawing, creep, snap shooting and a whole host of other issues that will cause you more trouble than the original release issue.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
i shoot with a clicker now and found that i was shooting better with a slightly bent arm pushing forward til it clicked and shoot instantly.  it is still a sort of unknown when i shoot, i just feel that my release is not good.  i shot in a shoot sat. and did good, but sunday was awful.  dont know if it wa nerves, the pouring rain or what, but some how i still feel not in control when i shoot.  before i left to go to the shoot i felt more in control of my shooting than ever, now i am right back in the dumps

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
You thinking to dang much!!! wasn't nothing wrong with your release Sat. Just concntrate on the spot you want your arrow to go. You will be all right. Oh yeah. Take that da... noisey clicker off and use a double anchor.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
took the clicker off after it broke today!  i put the new one on--super quiet one--, but dont have any rope long enough yet.  i am trying to break myself from using it now--not working to well.  maybe tomorrow it will be better.  i just dont fel right when i release.  i feel like something moves that is not supposed to move.  i am back to shooting like crap with no confidence.  ai m going to have to get somebody to help me with the double anchor and watch my form in doing so.  one day i will do better hopefully.  i was really looking forward to trying to get a bird saturday.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
What I did to help my release was this:
Instead of concentrating on my fingers, I make sure that I tell my wrist to go limp. It works every time. give it a go.

Offline pete Darby @ home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
I agree with Jeff.  For me the release is a form issue, not a letting go issue.  My release is the same whether I am using my 20# fiberglass or my 65# longbows and everything in between.  The same can be said for dropping my bow arm and a host of other problems people have.
Peter Darby

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
As a guy who has worked through smoothing out the release I can relate. You don't specify what about your release isn't working. In my case I had a consistent pop off my face. I worked hard at keeping the hand tight and inline.

If you are really having a release problem try to get some film of yourself shooting. It may reveal an aspect of your form that is throwing off the release. I look at a shot like a chain. A weak link in the shot will affect the rest. My release issue was because I was slightly overpulling. I was extended back to the point where the only direction my release hand could go was sideways. I shortened up slightly (anchor change) and the increase in back tension has improved my release alot.

A heavier bow can help but it isn't the fix. The draw weight is only a bandaid to cover the issue.

BTW, if ya gotta use a clicker use one. No shame in recognizing what works for you. My friend is a clicker shooter. He shoots well without it but, like you, feels like something is off. He struggled for a couple years shooting without one. He's on and off. He put it back on recently and he said it's like coming home. Watching his shot now is like seeing a different person. If it works embrace it.

Offline Mike Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I've been switching between 25# up to 55# and in between, because of a  bad elbow and shoulder. I have noticed that I can see my mistakes more when I am shooting the lighter bows and I believe the mistakes are still there when shooting the heavier weight.I don't mess up the release or drop the bow all the time but when my shooting starts to go south I switch to a lighter bow and can see my mistakes easier. It just seems to be easier to concentrate on my form with a real light bow.

Mike Lee

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
You want to fix your anchor and release try this. Go to a flat open field with a quiver full of rubber blunttipped arrows. Now as you go thru your form draw and anchor while staring out at the horizon. In other words you arent aiming at anything. You will then come to anchor and when you want to you can think about how your release should go without any distractions of a target.For some reason a blank bale seems to only work at very close 5-6 yds range.Much better to really loose them out a distance so you can also watch the trajectory afterwards.When  you do this for while dont be surprised if you sneak a shot at one of the arrows you see laying out 75 yds away and proceed to hit it because thats how good your form will become.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©