Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: arm slap  (Read 890 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
arm slap
« on: March 19, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
not sure what im doing wrong have had a couple poeple look at form they said they dont see any glaring issues but no matter what i do i slap my bow pretty good.  I shoot a 60" recurve 50# @28 i draw 28 bow is set with an 8" brace hieght i shot with an almost open bow hand and a square stance ive tried opening up but the slap still happens i also shoot with a cant any ideas? One last thign i know that normally you lose an inch or two of draw when switching from compound to trad but my draw length stayd the same is this really strange?  :help:    :archer:

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arm slap
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
If it is a new string, it could have stretched a bit lowering the BH, which might be the reason.
Otherwise you might want to try different grips on the bow, or keeping your bow arm slightly bent.

Im sure more will be along to help you shortly...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Some bows just don't fit some people.  If you have good form, the string should barely miss your arm.  Most people wear an armguard for when they mess up something. If possible, post a video of your shooting.  There are some very knowledgable shooters and one may be able to spot what you are doing wrong.  Bill

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Bill's right,
i made a bow for my wife and she cant shoot it at all. gets major welts on her arm..
i do just fine with it.
and she shoots her other bow just fine.
~Andrew Wesley

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Shooting w/ an almost open hand is not necessarily a good thing w/ a stickbow. Try a firmer grip- not choking the snot out of it but firm. Also make sure your elbow is not locked or hyper-extended. If you are making the transition from a compound, and are used to the vertical bow, closed stance, locked elbow that I see so often, that could be part of your problem
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
thanx mahantango i shoot my compound open hand bent elbow was taught that locked elbow is bad form no matter what type bow you shoot wi will try closing my hand and the firmer grip would post a vid but i have new idea how to even go about it thankx for the advice i know it is hard when you cant see whats going on.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
shot today with a firmer grip instead of wide open hand  hit my arm way less if maybe not at all was wearing arm gaurd so hard to tell another affect it had was shrinking groups! today was the best day i have had shooting since puttind down the wheelie bow

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
Bowmaster 12,

I had the same problem. As always, I got some great advice from the knowledgeable shooters on this site. The advise that worked for me was this: Hold your bow arm out like you are shooting your bow. Now, keeping your bow arm up, pull your hand toward your body. If your hand hits your face, you will smack your forearm every time. If your hand hits your chest, you are using the correct form. Essentially, you have to roll your elbow out, instead of keeping it locked and low like shooting a compound.

Give it a try, it worked for me.

Good luck and Good shooting,

Dennis

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
You say your shooting open hand.I say then your locking your elbo straight.Try griping your bow lightly and benning your elbo a little.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©