Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Nocking point ?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Broofinez

• Trad Bowhunter
Nocking point ?
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I know this has been asked before. but I was just wondering if you guys set your nock pt. below or above the arrow nock. And is one better than the other.

Offline Andrew Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nocking point ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
i have mine above because i find it easier to keep the arrow secure when shooting 3 under that way.
~Andrew Wesley

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Both...Nock set above and below eliminates a lot of "flyers" for folks....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Above.

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
I set mine above, just because. As bad as I shoot I could probably get by without one at all !
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
I use both above and below. I have to agree with OL. It helps with the flyers!
SL

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
I set mine above my arrow, I like it there because if I'm nocking an arrow with my eye on the target I can put the arrow on the string low & slide it up to the nock point. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Two Dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
I set mine above the arrow as well, reasond being your middle & ring finger should have all the tension on the string.

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I use nocks above and below as OL said. It really helps. I gues the idea that I an trying to say is that I first determine the nocking point height and then place an arrow on the string to verify where the lower nock should go. Hope this helps!

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I've mostly hunted with longbows shooting split finger while using a backquiver. For the first twenty years or so, I nocked the arrow onto the string below the nocking point. Around the last ten years I switched to nocking the arrow above the nock point. I now agree with Hill as I find nocking the arrow from above to be the smoothest and most natural way to get an arrow from the backquiver onto the string. Even when using a low opening side quiver, nocking the arrow from above is more fluid with less motion.

Coming over your shoulder with the arrow nock held between your finger(s) and thumb, straight down onto the string is near fool-proof as your thumb brushes the nock point on the way down which eliminates fumbling. Nocking from underneath requires you to come down past the nock point then change directions in movement which increases the chance of fumbling. When hunting small game, winged game, following up on wild boar, bear, etc., such fumbling will often rear its ugly head and cost you a shot. A vetted archer who can quickly and smoothly nock the arrow will have a huge advantage and will more often make the shot and bag the game.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I just got off the phone with some folks that did a bunch of high speed video and other tests last weekend. Don't want to steal all their thunder before they publish it but they had video of the arrows slipping up or down the string during the shot, especially shooting 3 under. So use nock sets above and below! Don't even think of using tight nocks so that doesn't happen. Tight nocks creates a myriad of other tuning problems.....O.L.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
How much clearance should you allow between the nocks in addition to the width of the arrow nock?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Secondly, just out of curiousity, why is there a greater tendency to slip using 3 under than there is using split fingers, assuming the nock is above the arrow?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Pull a bow 6" under the arrow and look at the center of force from your fingers and the center of the arrow mass. That's an extreme example but shows how the bow has to "shift" from one center of pressure to another. 3 under requires a bigger shift then split does. The arrow should be able to slip easily between the nocks without any up or down play...O.L.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
O.L.,

What do you mean by "tight nock?"  Are you referring to nock sets that bind on the arrow nock point as it's inserted?  I think that's what your last post means, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
No, your arrow nock on the string. With an arrow nocked, point it down, it should stay on..barely...Light tap on the string it should fall off. If it won't, it's too tight. I have the crimp on nock sets, only use tie-on's personally...O.L.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Above and below for me.  Nocking points are tied on serving.
The work praises the man.

Offline Potoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
I've used clip on nocks for 40 years and find I get a pinch w my tab with my new Saxon Shrike. So I've gone to a glove and that helps. Though I am curious about 'tie on' nock points. Never used them but I'll bet they get rid of that pinch I'm referring to.
Like it says on the can...'concentrate'

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
Here's a tutorial of building a  nocking point. Although I prefer a double serving, these same techniques can be applied for just the nocking point without the double served portion.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000079

Hope it helps someone.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©