Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Another Video (? for TERRY)  (Read 847 times)

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Video (? for TERRY)
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
Terry I'm trying like heck to understand your double anchor thing. I've read it and re-read it but can't seem to put it all together. As far as the bow being to heavy, I have a 45lb, 50lb and 55lb bow and I shoot them all the same. In this video I tried pulling back farther before the release. I'm thinking that if I want my elbow even farther back my finger will be very near the back of my jaw bone. Is that the idea behind a double anchor? To stop at one but not release until you continue back and hit the other?

Thanks,
John

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Video (? for TERRY)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
Since your speaking of the double anchor I'll humbly submit my attempt of illustrating it. In this video linked below, it's at the 4:46, just overlook the fact that I released 1 second too early   :thumbsup: .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWAnc3FjUvw&feature=channel_page

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
waiting4fall, what 2 parts of your body do you use to anchor?

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
A double anchor is simply utilizing two distinct points to maximize consistency. Nothing new but not everyone uses this approach. Rick Welch teaches the thumb knuckle touching the ear lobe and the cock feather on the tip of the nose. Byron Ferguson uses middle finger on a specific tooth and his index/ ring finger on points of his face. Ty Pelfry (stringwalker) uses the thumb under the jawbone, index against the cheekbone, and arrow nock against the nose.

Normally, the double anchor is grounded on a bony part of the face (cheek bone, back of jaw, tooth, etc) to give a solid landmark. The common corner of the mouth is more nebulous. It can move if you open your jaw, if you're cold, purse the lips, etc.

Different archers use different points. Your facial structure dictate what may work. All it really does is help you find a consistent point to align your head, hand, and body position.

Dozer, if you want to try a double anchor you might try holding at full draw for a moment to make sure the shot is solid. At full draw feel the anchor, hold it, solidify the sight picture, then release. Once you learn a double anchor you can shoot as quickly or slowly as you want. It will just help you be more consistent from shot to shot.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
Good answers above....yep...two anchor points.

You have to find what works for you....here's what works for me.

I slide my thumb base knuckle from the corner of my mouth down the side of my face, and that lines up my middle finger to come to my 1st anchor...middle finger in the corner of my mouth.  I continue to pull till my thumb base knuckle slides in behind my jaw under my ear, and my middle finger is still in the corner of my mouth,,....but my mouth is pulled back a tad.

I demonstrated it in the Trad Gang DVD along with   what I feel is the most important aspect of shooting consistently...proper alignment.  There's also tips on reverse cant, and minimizing movement  while maximizing your range of motion for shots in the field.

BTW...this clip looks better than the 1st.  I think you need to slow down still.  I think you should work close on the bale and think about your anchor and forget aiming for a while.  Learn the shot before you learn to shoot.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Regarding the double anchor, do what Terry and Str8shooter recommended.

Watching your video in slow motion I noticed two things, the excess amount of arrow sticking past the riser when you release, and the arm, from wrist to elbow, are not in alignment with the arrow before release.  Getting to a SOLID double anchor with your arm (wrist to elbow) aligned with your arrow and parallel to your shoulders, and then using your back muscles to trigger the release, will remedy both these things.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
and the more you slow down and practice...you will get faster if that makes since...but ur doing beter...Good luck wish ya the best buddy!   :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 01:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by bayoulongbowman:
and the more you slow down and practice...you will get faster if that makes since...but ur doing beter...Good luck wish ya the best buddy!    :thumbsup:  
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
thanks for all your help fellas. I'll practice a lot more
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
OK...stay after it...and keep us posted.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©