Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: How can I build upper body strength  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
How can I build upper body strength
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
If, now I really mean if, I get up off the couch and decide to work out, what exercises could I do to build my strength to improve my shooting?

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How can I build upper body strength
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Paddling a kayak for 3-5 miles two or three times a week really works the arms and back.  Plus, you can stop and fish if you get tired.  Bill

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
I was a rockclimber before my decline into bowhunting in my old age ;-)  As a rockclimber, I would regularly do 15-20 pullups.  I've never had any problems pulling any bows up to 65 lbs.  This is not as good as it sounds, because I wasted years shooting heavy bows before I realized how much more accurately I could shoot lighter weight bows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
my advise Don't get carried away with bits and pieces and fancy equipment! or elaborate work outs

Push Ups
and
Pull ups

there is a reason they are so popular and effective

Perform them Properly.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline JeffersonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
It realy depends on what type of workout do you want to do.  I like bodyweight exercises and will advocate them before using weights although a few specialized exercises I think are good with free weights, I don't like machines at all.  I've only shot a bow a few times, I'm learning, but I have studied nutrition and exercise for quite a while being an athlete with Crohn's Disease.  

If you go the bodyweight route I suggest do pushups, regular and inner.  For inner pushups you are working out the tricep so you want to slightly arch your back to work it out.  Do around 10 reps and 5 sets a day of each type of pushup. Also, pullups if you have a bar or an easy to reach branch.  You will also want to work on your abdominal muscles and your legs.  Do squats and lunges for legs and planks for your abs.

You can always pm me if you want a more personalized workout where I can work with your bodyweight and what you eat and drink to make a good diet/exercise rotation for you.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I like the push up, pull up idea.  Nothing to buy and no gym to become a member of.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Try some shoulder rolls 25-50 in each direction [make 6" circles] will really stretch and strengthen your shoulders!

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
What works for me is to go out and shoot my bow for an hour or two per day.   :archer:
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
With a 40 lb dumb bell you can do a one arm row type exercise that does a fair job of working the same back muscles you should use when shooting a bow - just be careful that you dontstart lifting the weight with your lower back when hunched over while getting into position.

But you cant go wrong adding in push ups and and pull ups. Strengthening the variety of muscles they work helps prevent injury.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
just as important is exorsizes that improve balance and stability. i got a workout plan from some olympic shooters forum that explains it. i'll send you the web address as soon as i find it. i have been doing it for about 3 weeks now and it works. you won't be hercules but the exorsizes are pretty easy to do.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
if i had to pick 1 exercise>>>>>>>>>>>>       definitely dips....3 sets of 20-15-10 ( your body weight) every 4 days..it's not that your only building muscles but endurance also.. get where you can do 10reps with a 100#s around your waist......you will be able to hold a 40#-65# bow as quiet and still as a church mouse. Do not go parallel ...protect your shoulders
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
Shoot your bow. Just pull it alternating between hands without shooting. You'll work the correct muscles to help your shooting that way.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
I recently started working out to build a bad shoulder and arm as opposed to babying it like I`ve done in the past. I can tell a huge difference.pushups and a dumbell workout with 10 pound dumbells have helped a lot.Its only ten pounds but after 50 reps you know it.I`ve also restarted my old TKD exercises to limber myself up. Still not loosing any weight though. RC

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
When I started shooting at the age of 12 I was a physical specimen of 70# and was shooting a 30# bow.  I went to a special archery event with people from Bear archery and the new 48" Super Mag. bow being introduced.  There was a woman there that may have weighed what I did and she was shooting a 55# Mag!  Her husband was shooting a 65# Super Kodiak but pulling it 30".  I made up my mind that I had to do that and I asked them their secret to pulling those bows.  They said buy one in the weight you want to shoot and pull it every chance you get until you can shoot it.  "You'll never learn to pull a heavy bow by shooting a light one."  I've gained 80# physically since then and have added 43 years to my life but can shoot 80# bows all day.

Offline jake jr. trickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
you want to pull your bow back multiple times (as said above) and use your back muscles to draw the bow. Pulling a bow back requires different muscles than most things require and your arms arn't used as much as your back while pulling a bow back.
A tradition that never dies
   >>>----------->

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Yeah, you could go shoot that widow more....

I've also done lawnmower pulls with a reasonable weight dumbbell to build some stamina in my shooting muscles.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Well, I decided to work on it 2 1/2 years ago when I decided not to turn 55 fat (205# at 5'8") and out of shape. So I lost 40 pounds by laying off the carbs. I started working out on weights, slowly building up, and did a lot of back, shoulder and upper arm work with plenty of reps and sets to build the ancillary and support muscles, and to focus on the back tension muscles. After I lost the 40# I started running with my dog. She is great running buddy, and keeps me on pace, as she hates to slow down.

Now, 2 1/2 years later, I have my old college body, (but not the hairline). Things hurt more, but I can run 7 miles in an hour, bench press 220#, do 40-50 pushups, 20-30 dips, and pull the 100# right-arm bow-pull on my cable weights.

So, now I can string and shoot my Howard Hill 85# Wesley Special - easily and accurately. The 70# bow is a light bow now.

And, I feel great out hunting.

This is not bragging. Anyone in good health can do it. It's just to show what an old duffer of 57 years can do if you just start making a little progress every week, working on yourself so you can enjoy archery and the rigors of hunting the hard way with the younger guys.
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline Swamp Preacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
I'm 63 and had a knee replacement last summer.  Great overall body strength can be gained with simple kettlebell exercises and 15 minutes a day. Start off with the Enter the Kettlebell package.

http://www.kettlebellkettlebells.com/
When a man walks in the fear of God he knows no fear, even if he 
were to be surrounded by wicked men. This makes him strong 
and able to take on anything, even things which seem difficult or 
impossible to most people. St. Symeon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©