Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: CHASIN' MY TAIL?  (Read 675 times)

Offline dutch the deadly

• Trad Bowhunter
CHASIN' MY TAIL?
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
just starting after many years of shooting compounds.  i got a 55# martin savannah.  i got a hunch i started w/ too much weight.  can't really get a comfortable anchor and i tend to release before i am set.  i shoot left handed and i jumped at the first lh martin i found.  need some input on where to go and how to get there     thanks    dutch    :)    :pray:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: CHASIN' MY TAIL?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
Sounds like you are basically able to pull and shoot the bow, but don't feel comfortable with it and can't hold it at full draw very long. Also, if I understand correctly, you have just recently began shooting trad bows.

If you plan on hunting, the bow you have should work out fine for you, in time.  You should draw the bow a number of times a day, whether you shoot any arrows or not.  Draw and hold as long as you can until you can hold for 10 seconds.  Over time, I would say no more than a month or so, you will develop the necessary muscle coordination you need.

You won't progress as fast in your shooting skills with this bow as you would if you had a 40-45# bow to practice with, simply because you could shoot a 40-45# bow more times before you get tired, and the lighter weight allows you to experiment more with subtle changes in form until you develop the form that works best for you.

So depending on your interest level and budget, you might want to consider adding a 40-45# bow to your collection.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Oh, and it's important that you don't try to fight the heavier bow while you're learning to draw it.  Just draw it slowly and smoothly to anchor as many times as you can, until you can no longer draw it to anchor.  When you can't draw it to anchor, don't try to jerk it back; that's how you can injure yourself and you can never shoot accurately that way.  Just draw it slowly and smoothly as far back as you can, and then let it rest until the next session.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Set the bow by your kitchen door and every time your walk by pick it up and draw and anchor 10 times. My first bow was 55# and to much to draw, i did the above for 4 or 5 months and then started with arrows again with no problem.

You can also find your self a cheep 40 to 45# bow and start there. Nothing wrong with having 2 bows   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 03:07:00 AM »
A boat load of great instruction on this great trad site. Below is what I have first hand experience with & I try to "Spread the gospel" to new guys, like you.Just my suggestion, there will be many more, but all of us want to see you succeed.  :thumbsup:  

Order this
 http://shop.dakotabows.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=8

Really try to attend this
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVeKKtdqHM8&feature=channel_page

You'll then be making a video like these folks
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5TcPR2Lz78&feature=channel

My experience
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWAnc3FjUvw&feature=channel_page

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©