Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Thanks Rod and Denny! Masters #3  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Rod and Denny! Masters #3
« on: April 11, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
Last night I watched about the first half of Masters of the Barebow V3 and I just want to thank Rod Jenkins for his insight on shot sequence he taught via the video and the help he provided via this site, personal emails and a phone call or two a few years ago. For the past 10 years, since I developed target panic, I've been working extremely hard to correct every aspect of my shot and the last piece was the release. I've been having trouble with that portion but with Rod's help via the video I'm confident I'll overcome that last hurdle within the next month or two. That said, after just one night of executing the release using Rod's advice tonight’s shooting session was my best ever and several times after the first two shots I actually had to aim somewhere different for fear of ruining an arrow! I was shooting really close to the target (he suggests this) but toward the end I had to walk away from the bail to track down my pointer (she was on point over some quail) and ended up 60 yards from the target. Using the same shot sequence I'd practiced after watching the video for the past 30 shots I put this 60 yard arrow in the exact spot I was focused on - the spot was the size of a quarter and the arrow nailed it! I'm not going to attempt to explain this entire thing via this post but the video will do that. If you haven't watched this video you should! It's got to be the best instructional video on shooting a traditional bow (or any bow for that matter) I've seen to date (and I own just about every one there is!). I haven't made it to Larry Yien's portion of the recording and I'm betting there's some information there that will prove helpful too. If I would've watched this video 20 years ago and followed the instruction it would've made all the difference in the world (this statement assumes it was available and I was willing to listen!).

10+ years ago I developed a horrible case of target panic which took at least 5 years to begin to get over (I'm still not completely over it and don't know that I will ever be.). Once I got to the point I could begin to control my shot I began to work on form. That process started 4 or 5 years ago. This winter I started blank bail shooting with a passion. I did this by starting with stance, hand placement and grip and worked backwards from there in this order - foot placement, shoulder alignment, head alignment (facing the target), bow hand placement on the bow grip, bow arm elbow orientation, finger placement on the string, draw elbow height. When all this was checked off my mental list I'd start the draw using back muscles. I didn't even know what back tension was until I dropped to bows in the sub 50# class. Once the basics are checked off I start my draw and come to anchor. This is the point I really had problems with. Rod's tips on the video about "expanding the draw" did the trick. In any case the mental aspect has been the most challenging of all. Unfortunately for ME the mental portion I struggle with would take a level of professional help that I can't afford!

In any case, thank you Rod for your insight on the video and your assistance a couple years ago. That stuff you helped with a couple years ago help put me on the right track and the video finished it off. Denny and your team – thanks for producing the series. MBV3 is the best one yet IMHO!
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thanks Rod and Denny! Masters #3
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
Tilz....man, your more than welcome! The fact the act of letting go of the string is best handled by not making it a factor has always kinda amazed me.

Keep up your bale work...it will pay big dividends!

You need to be thanking Darryl anyways....he does all the work !  :biglaugh:
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
Great post Tilz...what Rod teaches will work if you work hard at it...congrats at the progress  :thumbsup:  

THANKS Darryl for all the hard work  :notworthy:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
In that case Darryl definitely deserves thanks too. I got a kick out of watching the Formaster work him over and the look on his face is priceless.

I finished watching the rest of the video tonight and I appreciate Larry Yien’s take on the aiming portion and it seems to work best for me if I continue to consciously think through the execution of the shot and let the aiming take care of itself subconsciously.

You guys put together a real good video here and the timing was perfect for me!
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
You are welcome guys!  But...I don't really do all that much.  Rod, Larry and Denny are the stars.

Rod tricked me with that formaster!  I'd never seen one before, and ...Yeah, it worked me over didn't it.

Darryl

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
I also want to thank the guys for motbb v3. It inspired me to shoot my first ibo 3d competition and qualify for the world championship this past Saturday.

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Congratulations canshooter!  Keep it up!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
Hopefully I'll get time to watch it soon....  :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Swamp Preacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
A big Hoorah for MBB#3.  Thanks guys for your contribution to the sport.  It makes it fun for us all.
When a man walks in the fear of God he knows no fear, even if he 
were to be surrounded by wicked men. This makes him strong 
and able to take on anything, even things which seem difficult or 
impossible to most people. St. Symeon

Offline Markus77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
I can´t expresse my gratitude enough or to many times about this DVD MOBB III. I´m in such control of the shot now, and much more consistent and accurate. It feels now, that when I hit the mark before, it was mostly luck. I thought it was a good thing to let go of the string fast, thats how Howard Hill did it, and I hit the mark to most off the time, but if my bowarm was to low or to high the arrow flew anyway and I coudn´t stop it. Now I shoot slower, with much more control and cleaner realeses, and are much more consistent. Have done a lot of blind and close bale, and yesterday was kind of a reward when I went in to the woods and had a great time wandering around stumpshooting, and making in my eyes some amazing shoots.
 I live in the north of Sweden, and spring or fall, has come to us this week, and it´s really hot and the wild flowers are starting to grow in the woods, the birds are singing really loud and it´s not much snow left. So yesterday was a great day in the woods, I was happy as a bird to, and the great shooting made the day even better. I hope I travel to USA some day or that I can meet Larry and Rod at a competition so I can shake your hands. And Darryl and Dennis to for making the DVD.

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Markus77 - Thank you so much for your post.  Hearing a reply like yours makes all our effort seem worthwhile.

A perfect spring day of stumpshooting like you described is a wonderful thing.  Wish I was there to share it with you.

Good luck, and enjoy your shooting.

Darryl

Offline Markus77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
It would have been fun if you were. Good luck to you to.

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Maybe one of the fellas could give an opinion...

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
It is my opinion target panic is developed in a shooter when they hold...hold....hold
waiting for the exact moment when all looks perfect.
They try to drop the string before they move off target.
The better they get at shooting the finer their sense of getting a tiny bit off...that is when they start clutching the string trying to stop from releasing until they get exactly back on target.

Now they have it!! Target panic.

Offline Markus77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 03:38:00 AM »
I don´t hold... hold...
I just look at what I´m trying to hit, pull to anchor, and then increases backtension until the shot goes of. Before training my form, your description was right, and during the long winter with indoors targetshooting, I came close to what your describing, and thats when I again started to realese fast. I think that when I have done more work and the tecnic is established in me, I can shoot faster again. I don´t hold very long now either, but I´m in no hurry to letting the arrow go.

Offline Rod Bear

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
This question  is for Denny. When you switched from split finger to three under, did you have a new bow made. If not, how did you quiet the bow down, and how much did you have to raise the knocking point. Thanks Rod

Offline Bow50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
You know what makes the video great, the guys on the video are just like a group of hunting or stump shooting buddies...they just shoot better, LOL

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
I finally got my copy of MBB3 and it is fantastic!  Very good job guys on  explaining each part of the shot.  I know it is going to make me a better shooter!  I am extremely happy that I am figuring out the back tension thing...I got my homemade formaster out after seeing how it was supposed to work and I did it right!  I know I am not doing it every time shooting, but that sucker sure makes you concentrate totally when it is hooked on   :eek:  

I'm going to get a mirror for the garage   :D  

Any tricks or tips on knowing how you have bone on bone contact in the bow arm?

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
I have GOT to get that video!!!

Glad it is working for you Tilz!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline foamkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I picked up the video yesterday. I watched Rod's segment twice. I must say that it is one of the best segments I have ever seen on shooting. If you want to raise your shooting game learn the subconscious/conscious mind things that Rod talked about.

I also got quite a chuckle from the target panic segment. You can deny that you have it but we all have some target panic in one form or another.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©