Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Slightly can't and I am shooting left from point of aim.  (Read 671 times)

Offline Kevin007

• Trad Bowhunter
Slightly can't and I am shooting left from point of aim.
« on: April 13, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Ok, so thanks to a few gurus here, I (traditional newbie) was able to start shooting right away with my new recurve. I now enjoyed shooting my recurve more than my compound now.

Anyway, I started shooting at about 12-15 yards and notice that if I cant to the point where I tilt my head down to aim, my arrows are hitting about 5-7 inches left of my point of aim. If I cant just slightly so that I bring the string to touch the corner of my mouth, and enough to see the "window", I eliminate the left offset. Why is that and what can I do to improved? Sorry I don't have any pics to show yet but I know my form still needs improvement.  I feel more comfortable shooting if I can tilt my head and cant a little.

I have tried to rotate my noc to shoot cock feather in, out, sideways, etc..., move noc up and down but no luck. Right now my noc point is set at 3/4 inch about center and I shoot 3 under.
Please help this newbie.

Kevin

Offline Kevin007

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Slightly can't and I am shooting left from point of aim.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
Oh and I have to add that I do have an stable anchor point. My anchor point by pulling back the string so that my hand rest between the split of my jaw. If that's any help.

kevin

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Probably because your arrow is not lined up under your eye properly.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
What Terry said.  You're using the point of the arrow (consiously or not) as a reference, basically making it the front sight on a barrel (the arrow).  If the rear sight (your eye) isn't alligned with the arrow you're not aiming where you think you're aiming.

I practice all degrees of cant from vertical to nearly horizontal (and in both directions - Thanks for THAT tip on the video Terry  :D )  Thre greater degree of cant, the more I have to tilt my head to keep everything lined up.  Just takes practice.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Kevin007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
I must admit I am using the point of the arrow as a reference to aim at the target.
So I am guessing I need to tilt my head more? Do I need to bring my anchor forward, up to the corner of my lips instead of where my jaws split?
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Kevin

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I'm not a guru but for me, there are 2 cants- one works, the other causes me to shoot left.  

Cant 1 - Cant the bow and entire upper body from the waist up: I hit the same as when I shoot vertically, which is my normal stance.

Cant 2 - Cant the bow and HEAD ONLY: I hit left pretty significantly

Just a data point.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©