Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: string finger question  (Read 775 times)

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
string finger question
« on: April 21, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I shoot split finger and usually try to keep equal tension on each finger. Lately I have been playing around and keeping most tension(70%)on my middle finger and I'd say 20% on pointer and 10 percent on my ring finger. It seems to be working alright. My question is, is it better to keep equal tension? What is the correct method if there is one, thanks- Steve

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string finger question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
I really can't say what is correct, but I shoot split finger - load my middle finger first, then my ring finger and pointer finger fall in place without thinking about it.  Probably at 50% middle, 30% pointer, 20% ring finger.... Jerry
The work praises the man.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »
I try to just get a deep hook and put equal pressure on the string...but again the middle finer being the longer degit must get more like 45% of the total pressure...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Make sure the forearm and hand is relaxed as much as possible, then pull hard with the back and the tension on each finger will self-regulate.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »
I was thinking of making a simular post.  For the last few days I've been shooting the same way, but even more pressure on my middle finger,  maybe 90% and as little as I can put on my index.

It seems to be working well so far but I just wonder how long my middle finger is going to last.  I'm going to need it!  Especially the way people drive around here!

Good point about keeping the hand relaxed.  I'm sure I'm not doing that enough right now.  I'll work on that.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
I pretty much switched back to a deep hook(first crease)and and took shooto8s advise that each finger will self regulate.

Offline Swamp Preacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
I started split finger, then discovered three under, then most recently two under.  Like Rod says, relax the hand and forearm, and finish to release with back tension.  The middle finger carries most of the load, but really I don't think about it.  Deep hook works best for me.
When a man walks in the fear of God he knows no fear, even if he 
were to be surrounded by wicked men. This makes him strong 
and able to take on anything, even things which seem difficult or 
impossible to most people. St. Symeon

Offline William Tell Not

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »
I got too much wiggle out of three under. Ended up shooting split two finger. I get a better down the shaft aim view that way.
I shot an arrow into the air......
Still ain't found the bugger

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©