Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: nock height for 3 fingers under  (Read 502 times)

Offline flyflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
nock height for 3 fingers under
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
I am shooting 3 fingers under and have had some issues trying to figure out just how much higher I need to move the nock as compared to shooting split finger. I realize there is variances from bow to bow and between shooters, just looking for ranges of what people are using. Thanks!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: nock height for 3 fingers under
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
I have recently retuned about 6 bows for 3 under.  The average would be a nock point 1/8 - 1/4" higher than for split fingers.  Since it is thought to be a benefit to have two nocking points when shooting 3 under, one idea to get in the ballpark would be to nock above your old nock (assuming you nocked below the nock for split fingers), and then set a new upper nock slightly above the arrow.

The biggest problem I've had is getting false nock highs when bare shafting.  The bare shaft is bouncing off the shelf.  When I raise the nock point another 1/8" (which sometimes seems excessively high), I begin to get a nock low and then a little higher and I get a true nock high.

My range of nock points (nocking above the arrow) for 3 under is 5/8" - 7/8"+ (I run out of marks on my bow square).  I was afraid that such a high nock point would adversely affect the performance of the bow, but all my bows seem to work just fine when I get the nock in the right place.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
I'm at 5/8 above square right now, and that includes a very clean bare shaft tune. On some bows though, I've also run out of lines on my bow square just to get good flight. But that doesn't matter, as long as the flight is good. Good luck,  
          knobby

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
i think the goal is to shoot the lowest nocking point that allows for acceptable arrow flight...this raises the arrow point and allows for flatter shooting.... I do think that a higher nock point is more forgiving and cleans up some fletch contact... i like to have mine 1/8" higher than probably necessary..
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©