Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: can spine affect nock high or low on same bow  (Read 556 times)

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
can spine affect nock high or low on same bow
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
I seem to bareshaft at least twice a week...usually after I have shot too much and things are starting to fall apart...anyway...I have been shooting the tradonly .500 and the GT 15/35, both are cut to 29 3/4. The .500 seems a little stiff and the GT a little weak, the GT is also 60 grains lighter. Through BH, side plate and point weight, I don't have a problem getting the fletched sets to group together,(GT does have some flight wiggle),  I have my nock point @ 3/4+ and still get nock low w/ the .500,(groups @ 2 o'clock of my fletched) ...then I shoot the GT and it says nock high,(BS about 12in low @20),??? I am left handed, gap shoot 3 under w/ 2 brass nocks, #45/46 at my 28 3/4 draw zipper longbow, bow is tillered for 3 under. Thanks

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: can spine affect nock high or low on same bow
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
I think you'll have better luck in the GT's with the 3555.  I'm not surprised your 1535 is showing weak shooting out of a 45# bow.

When I was converting to 3 under, I had one longbow that I almost gave up on, because nothing I was trying was getting consistent good arrow flight.  It is a 59# longbow, and I had always shot it successfully before with 3555's.  But with my slightly longer draw length using 3 under, it kicked it up just enough that it needed 5575's, with some additional weight up front.  Now it shoots beautifully.

If you're getting nock low with your other arrow, make sure your nock high is a true nock high on the GT, and not just the arrow deflecting off the arrow shelf.  I would run the nock point up to 7/8+, somewhere where there is no question that the nock high is true, and work down from there.  A good indication for me with 3 under is to never assume that I have nock high until I experience nock low with the same arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
McDave, I was hoping to hear from some of the GURU's like you...I have a problem with bareshaft tuning, when things start to stray away from the norm...instead of just going where it takes me. I tell myself that something else must be wrong if my nock point gets that high and keep trying to get it to where I want it and not where it wants to be...that probably explains my TP issues to!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Thank you for your kind words, but I'm just a bumbler who piddles around trying this and that to see what works.  When I go astray with my advice, usually one of the true GURU's will step in and set me back on the right path.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©