Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Dropping My Bow Arm. Any Fixes?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Dropping My Bow Arm. Any Fixes?
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I video taped myself and notice I am dropping my bow arm?  Are there any drills I can do to correct this?
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dropping My Bow Arm. Any Fixes?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
It may sound stupid, but just don't let it happen.  Keep your bow arm on target until you hear the arrow thump the target.  I notice that I have more problems when my alignment is off and I am getting a high elbow rather than pulling straight back with the middle of my back.  Good luck.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Post the video here so we can see what the problem is.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Koko...watch your clip again...you are lunging forward at release...not only is your bow arm dropping, but your head and body are lunging forward. Its like you want to help the bow get the arrow to the target, but you should let it do all the work and remain in place.

Its like you are mentaly anticipating the shot.  I saw a bit of forward creep as well.  You'r alignment is not that bad off at all, but I think you have more of a mental issue at the moment.  Once you get that fixed, I think you can fine tune your alignment/form and be off to the races.

And, tell me, was that a look of frustration on your face after the last shot?  Tell me the truth now.   ;)  

I'm gonna email ya....and see if I can get Rod Jenkins to take a look at your clip as well.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Terry's right...severe anticipation issues at work in your shot. I'd recommend getting up close and personal to a shoulder height bale with no target and working out a shot sequence. The bow grabbing has to be fixed(although I think part of the bow grab is the anticipation problem) Try relaxing the entire bowhand, letting the finger fall loosely around the grip, with the pointer finger only retaining the bow. Try relaxing and allowing the let go to happen at its own pace VS attempting to pick when you want the arrow to shoot.

Stay on the blank bale until you have a shot sequence worked out then gain trust in your new shot sequence, by slowly increasing the distance from 5 yd to whatever distance you wish, but the first time you shot a less that perfect shot, go back to the blank bale. The desired end result in being able to shoot the same exact shot, that you worked out at 5yds...at 50 yds.

Best of luck...you have some work to do!
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Koko,

Thanks for asking your question.  I have nothing whatever to add to what Terry and Rod have said, but rather have a problem similar to yours and their advice to you should help me work on it. So again, thanks for asking.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Thanks all!  I am planning to try your suggestions.  I will post some video later and you can see the progress.  

BTW Terry, yes that was a look of pure frustration.

Dryad Epic

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
It feels great to see Rod say what I was thinking.  I'm a complete novice as an archer, so I can't advise, but I am an experienced athlete and a coach.  As I watched your clip I sez to myself that you are "catching" your bow, thus the instinctive reaction to drop your arm.  Which is what I think Rod was saying.  Kind of.

What I can advise on, coming from a coach . . . lose the frustration look.
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline Cyrille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
I've noticed two other faux pas which may or may not be considered part of the problem, personally I would consider them so.
 1. Your elbow is a bit high and
2. when you release your string hand doesn't move back; the fingers should be touching your shoulder at the end of the shot.
 hope this helps.
Cyrille

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I have been hearing may good bit of advice with common factors.  I have been given some "homework" and will give it a go and report back.

Thanks all!

Dryad Epic

Offline Bill Sagues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Koko:
Not much to offer as I am a beginner and have lots to learn myself.  I did buy Masters of the Barebow 3 and have watched about a dozen times - lots of great info and instruction as confirmed by Rod's post.  BTW - love your daughter in the background doing cartwheels - enjoy them while they are young; they will grow up and be gone before you know it.  Good Luck.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
koko....may i ask how tall you are? and how long your arrows are? im noticing that you have a good 6" of arrow over hanging the shelf at full draw and release... you look fairly tall and long limbed ..so im guesstimating your actual draw should be 29"ish...so "if" your shooting a full length arrow..then your probably short drawing by at least 3"..if your arrows arent full lenth..then your short drawing even more...im not sure the weight of your bow..but it almost appears you are overbowed ..you have your drawing elbow cocked upward..that elbow needs to be down and aligned with the arrow.... steady bow arm and pull thru the release....
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
Jacob...yeah...I noticed that too....but lets get his main problem fixed 1st....then we'll work on getting full extention by getting that elbow back and proper alignment.

Nice post Rod....pretty cool what you told him....it backed up what I told him on the phone earlier.  :thumbsup:

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
I'd try a 4' 5" shoot'n stick.....Just duct tape it to the wrist of your bow arm and set it firmly into the ground.  You will never drop the bow arm again.

Sorry.........I couldn't help myself.

Truth is, I've threatened to do this to myself just to see what would happen If I didn't drop my bow arm.  For me part of this is that I shoot a bow that is not only heavy in draw weight but is heavy to carry.  I think that as I release, the recoil and the physical weight of the bow are just too much to keep from falling away a bit.

The guys have offered some good advice.  I watched you shoot and you seem to shoot like me.  I think one other thing that causes bow dropping, at least for me,  is a little target panic.

When it hits me bad, I feel like my bow arm locks on and I can't move it into a better alignment picture no matter how hard I try.  Usually I'm a bit high and right of my intended alignment picture and since I can't move my bow arm prior to release, my mind says...."Ok fine just move it as you release"

A guy once told me that when target panic hits, draw your bow, then force yourself to circle the intended spot you want to hit with your arrow point, then align your sight picture and shoot.

Sometimes it works.  Good luck
LPM

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
I am 6'4" and my arrows are 30" from the insert to the nock throat.  The bow I am using is 62" and 47#@28.  Here is some updated video.  Some improvements I think.

Dryad Epic

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
....my son took the video so mind you he is holding the camera 3' off the ground looking slightly updard.  I know...I am working on the grip thing too.

Dryad Epic

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
Much better....I still see some 'bouncing' at anchor...and your bow hand is re-gripping the bow while you are at anchor.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
WOW...much improved !

Yeah, your bowhand still shows the anticipation at work....but you have made progress!

Try some subconscious exercises to help you relax. In your minds eye see and feel yourself totally relaxed, then drawing the bow and excuting a perfect shot, while in that totally relaxed and in control state...one hint to help speed the process up is.....don;t actually touch your bow, for the next week, and run the mental"perfect shot" video you made every time you have a chance to relax....being relaxed is key!
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Great improvement !
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©