Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Good Groups, but what about my form and release?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Good Groups, but what about my form and release?
« on: May 08, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Okay guys (and gals), here's a link to a video I made the other evening of me shooting my recurve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THrvNwSCr-s&feature=channel_page  

Please excuse my "corniness" in front of the camera. I shoot a good group, but, critics, please chime in with your thoughts on my form, release, etc. I'm thinkin' my release hand isn't coming back very far like some of the better shooters' release hand does. But, I seem to like the results anyhow.

Doug
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Groups, but what about my form and release?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Well, Your shots speak for themselves.Is there a specific area of your shooting that your dissatisfied with, or just looking for feedback?
I think your gonna kill a bunch of stuff, shooting like you did in the video.  :thumbsup:

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Thanks Dave. Of course, I don't always shoot like that, but, when I don't or can't, it makes me wonder why not. When I take my time and I'm into it, I get results like this. The only thing I can come up with is my release-hand follow-through or my anchor consistency. Three things I tend to concentrate on are: Keep a loose grip on the bow, anchor close to my face, and keep my bow hand up until the arrow hits the target. Oh yeah, and don't short-draw. If I keep all of these in check, I can usually get good results.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline canshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
Perhaps a good close shave and some baby oil to aid with string abrasion...only kidding, nice group!

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 02:26:00 AM »
Overall, you're form looks solid and consistent. You have a very good bow arm which will help reduce many form hiccups.

The only thing I can see that may be an area to work on is in the release area. The hand pops off the face instead of coming back. Now, obviously your groups are there so it isn't a huge thing. But, I had a similar issue and it resulted in some inconsistency while shooting. The thing that helped me the most was focusing on keeping my hand tight to my face and really pulling the elbow through the release. It cleaned up my release and my consistency is much improved.

The release hand doesn't have to come way back to be good. Some guys move an inch or less, some pull through to the shoulder. Thats a style thing. The most important point is the release hand moves rearwards after the shot.  

Keep it up. Looks good.

Chris

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
Wow, thanks Chris. That's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. That's definitely something I'll be workin' on. I wasn't too overly worried about it, but I new something was eventually gonna have to be done about the way I release the string. All the video clips I was seeing of good shooters, were showing the release hand going straight back and it kinda stayed on my mind after I watched them. Thanks again for the good advice, Chris.

Doug
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Your not getting full extension and that's likely why your draw length is 26.5 as I believe you said....and....

Your elbow is pointing at around 5 o'clock, and that's why your hand is flying away from your face as the energy from the string hand is not going directly away from the target.  

Although your groups were good in this vid, you stated some times they are not, and getting properly aligned can help you be more consistent.  Get that energy going directly toward and away from the target, and you wont be muscling the bow.  This will also help you be more consistent in the field when you have to create and manufacture shots in the field when the opportunity arises as we don't always get the perfect back yard shot.

When muscling the bow, you can 'make it work' with the perfect shot.....but when you have to contort those muscles in the field, that's when accuracy suffers and needs to count the most.  Get bone on bone contact(proper alignment) and those unorthodox shots will be much sharper on target.

Check out the 'form clock' and 'member form improvement videos' threads stickied at the top of this forum.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Wow, thanks Terry for chimin' in on this for me. Sounds like very sound advice for sure. I'll reread it a few more times and I will check out the video threads you mentioned and work on those things. I'm sure it'll take me awhile to get it right, but I know I need to so I'll keep at it. Thanks everyone and I'm still open for more suggestions.

:)    :thumbsup:    :archer:

Doug
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
Man T you're good!   Doug, I see what Terry see's, you elbow is the give away...bet you could add an inch to your draw....

Maybe a bit of collapse at release also
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Thanks Curt. I feel like I might be a tad overbowed with my 60#@28" bow. I do okay for awhile, but long shooting sessions really take their toll on me as far as holding the bow at full draw. I'm sure I could probably draw farther with less pounds but I don't want to unless I absolutely have to. I do good with the weight for short sessions though. How do I know for sure that I may be a little overbowed?
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Doug...if you were to go down 5#s and draw another inch and a half....you wouldn't loose any performance to speak of as far as speed...but you will likely perform more accurately.

More accuracy with the same speed performance?  Sounds like a win/win to me.

Can you film again shooting just like you did in the 1st video(your normal shot before this thread) so we can see you from the front?

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Yes Terry, I have considered goin' down about 5 pounds. I have posted threads for wantin' to trade my limbs for a set of 55 # ones but didn't get any bites. I'm sure it would help if I shot more often, too. I'm only averaging shootin' about every week and a half at best. Last fall I shot almost every day with a Montana LB I had. But that just isn't happening this year.

I really appreciate you all taking time out for me with this. I can't wait to get started on the things you all have told me to try!
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Doug...remember...you don't have to shoot everyday to maintain your pulling strength...bring the bow inside and do a little work out with it every other day and that will help you stay at your pulling weight.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
thats great shooting Doug!
really glad you'r enjoying that bow, i will keep an eye out for some slightly lighter limbs if you want.
that bow sure smokes an arrow.

Terry and Curts advice is good advise i took it a long while back and increased my draw about 1.5 inches

i have never shot better!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Thanks, Andy. Good to hear from you, man. Yes, I would appreciate it if you could keep an eye out for some 55# limbs that I could maybe trade my 60#ers for.

The only thing about more extension on my draw, is that when I try it now, I hit my face with the string somewhat as I anchor farther back. Currently, I anchor with my middle finger at the corner of my mouth and I get a consistent anchor that way. Maybe less weight will help?
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
Doug,
I think your form is very good and suits your build. You look like medium stature, fairly heavily muscled and fairly thick in the wrist. Men with that sort of build are often not very flexible and tend to be sort of tight and firm in their movements. I think your shooting matches that.

I am taller and more limber and use a longer draw and follow through, but my form would not suit you.

You could go with what you have got or you could go down in weight and try to extend your draw. The way to do that would be to change your posture to move your head and face to the rear.  To do that you don't lean forward and don't push your face forward. Keep straight up and down and maybe pull your head back a little or even lean back a little bit. You might be able to gain and inch or two and still keep the same contact with your face.

Many, most, archers would benefit from increasing their draw length, in my opinion. And an extra inch of draw may be worth more than 5 pounds of bow weight. - lbg

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Thanks for your valuable input, lbg. I think you're right on, too. I shoot trad archery by using the methods described in Byron Ferguson's book, "Become the Arrow". It improved my shooting tremendously. It's a form of gap shooting so I keep my eye directly over and in line with the arrow shaft. I also put the end of my middle finger at the corner of my mouth at anchor and I cant my bow to get a better sight picture. I think all of this causes me to not draw my bow as far as if I was shooting totally instinctive. I may try experimenting with anchoring farther back and turning my head more to face the target. I've already tried this a little bit and it feels awkward right now but I may keep at it.
Do you think I am overbowed, just from from watching the vid?
Doug...
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Doug,

I'd still like to see a broadside clip of you shooting so we can see more, AND where your head is at the moment when you get to full draw.

I think you can get more properly aligned with your stature and bow cant.  I know plenty of guys with your build that do.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Uploading a new video clip onto youtube of a broadside view right now.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Okay, here's a link to my latest vid showing the broadside view of my form and release, as promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mNPdBPxWnM&feature=channel_page

Doug
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©