Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Rick Welch II vs MOBB3 dvds?  (Read 818 times)

Offline Partagas

• Trad Bowhunter
Rick Welch II vs MOBB3 dvds?
« on: May 09, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Looking to pick up a training dvd and both have great reviews.  Wondering if I get one of them which one to get?  Are they similar or have completely different philosophies?

Was hoping to go to the rod jenkins school in oregon but we aren't going to be there till a week or so after he gets there.

Offline Rod Bear

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rick Welch II vs MOBB3 dvds?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
Partagas: I have both. I was disappointed  in Rick's video.Too much hunting not enough instruction. The MOBB3 is great. You will get a lot out of it.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
I have not seen any of the MMBB dvd's but hear they are all excellent. Rick's Instructional volume 2 is worth the money, it too has helped alot of folks. Here's a link.

http://shop.dakotabows.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=8

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
I have both and recommend getting both.  However if you can only get one, it would depend on what you want out of your archery.

If you are serious about archery and want to learn how to develop your shot for competition, MOBB # 3 is for you.  Rod's description of how to listen to your bow in developing your shot is worth the price of the video alone.

If you are primarily a hunter and occasional 3D competitor, then Rick's video will probably be more helpful.  He's excellent for archers who have never had any instruction.  He does an excellent job onthe basics of good form.

I hope that you will get both, they are complimentary and will help most archers.

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Terry Green has posted free 1-3 minute videos here as well, in case you did not know.  Not sure how to direct you to them, but somebody might know.  Terry might even know.  

Also he is on "Bowhunters of Trad Gang" DVD with excellent instruction.  

Sorry I didn't help you make a choice.
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
No one video is perfect, and each time you watch "it", you may just pick up some small tidbit that you missed earlier.  (You know, maybe you're at a stage in your life - or shooting - when something you heard earlier comes back at ya and smacks you between the eyes, and now makes sense.)

Personally, I think both the MMB series and Rick Welsh #2 are excellent DVDs and have no problem recommending BOTH for your library.   Rick Welsh's "KISS" philosophy makes sense.
Regards!
David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
I've only seen MBB I.  I have both 1 and 2 from Rick.  Based only on that, if I had to pick one, I'd get Rick's #2, largely because his approach seems simpler and more easily repeated than Rod's.  But things change over time so I'm planning to get MBB III because if I can learn to shoot half as well as either of those guys I'll be a very happy man.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
I've watched both videos and have attended Rick's class.

MBB III is the closest thing to actually being in a class, given the great amount of detail presented.  MBB III is accomodating to a variety of shooting styles, aiming at getting the best out of whatever style you're using, rather than changing your style.  If you do change things after watching MBB III, it's because you learn to analyze what you're doing and initiate the changes yourself.  I learned a lot from watching MBB III and will probably watch it again.  MBB III is accomodating to both gap and instinctive shooting.

Rick has developed a deadly accurate style of archery that has won him many tournaments and killed a lot of game.  Rick has never accepted anything in the archery world without questioning and testing it, and is quite willing to throw out anything that doesn't work for him, even if it means stepping on the toes of the establishment.  His goal is to make the act of shooting an arrow as simple as it can be, eliminating all movements and postures that don't contribute to delivering the arrow accurately on target.  He teaches his method.  Period.  If you love your shooting style, and are not willing to change things, you probably won't like Rick's videos and class.  If you search this forum, you will find quite a few discussions about Rick's style from people who couldn't completely understand it from his videos.  Rick has a couple of new things in the pipeline that should help clarify his style.  Rick's students are generally amazed at how much their shooting improves from a day and a half of his instruction, but it would be a little harder to get that level of improvement from watching his first two videos.  Rick teaches instinctive shooting only.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
Ive got them all and enyoyed them as well. As David metioned, you can't get it all in one or two viewings.  Not many weeks go by that I don't watch at least part of Ricks vol II. wheather I need it or not. I just like to here the guy talk. Same goes for Rod Jenkins. He's like EF hutton. when he's talking you should be listening. Just my 2 cents. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Rick's seems easier to understand to me...Rods way would probaly work , if I could get him to coach me for weekend ...it all sounds good !! :)oh yeah...havent watched the last of Rods tape  :)  maybe I should????   :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
MBB III

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
This is Rick Welch's new dvd. If you have room for improvement in your consistent accuracy you will benefit from this dvd.

http://shop.dakotabows.com/product.sc?categoryId=1&productId=26

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
I have both, and as much as I enjoy Rick's DVD's, for raw shooting instruction I'd have to go with MBB3.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©