Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: baseball vs bow accuracy  (Read 552 times)

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
baseball vs bow accuracy
« on: May 13, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »
As a kid a sure sign of things to come were the start up of baseball teams going south to train for upcoming season. Well yesterday for me was the start of trad bowshooting in the north. You could not ask for a better day to train with that bow that has goptten dusty from a lack of winter use. The temp was in the mid 60's, sunny, light wind to keep away the bugs. I shot for over two hours and the finding were, boy do I need to shoot every day a few arrows. I found that at 10 yards I was 2 inchs off the spot in most shots all to the right, at 15 yards it was 3 to 4 inchs, at 20 yards it started to go downhill. My question is how do most of you practice and how many arrows at a time. I shoot 3 arrows and then walk and pick them up, I may shoot for about a 1/2 hour and then take a break and work on another outside task and then back again for another 1/2 hour of shooting. I had in the bow shop  the CD player going with 60's / 70's rock and roll,  and the coffee pot was on.
So it was a great day. I had several  turkey walk out in the early afternoon to walk past the bow shop and down to the pasture fields....
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: baseball vs bow accuracy
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
Bill I never really practice.I just go out and shoot wnen the mood stikes.Sometimes that might be several times a day or only once in a week.I shoot untill it is time to do something else or I get tired to where I start losing concentration.Most times I might shoot a couple 3 dozen arrows before the phone rings.:)Just going out to shoot because I think I need practice just does not work for me.I find only shooting when I want to shoot and in the mood for works best for me.There is no set number of arrows or certain distance.I might not shoot but 6 arrows and they could be at 10yds or 50yds depending on how it comes that moment.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
real good stuff indeed, bill.  here's my take ...

bowhunters, archers, need to practice/shoot daily.  even if only a few arrows travel pass the riser.  all "instinctive aiming" sports (golf, darts, baseball pitching, etc.) are based on form - the tackle is always secondary.

the archer's form - from top to bottom - is of number one priority.  the arrow - not the bow - is the most important piece of archery tackle.  

traditional "instinctive" archery is a free-form aiming sport sans any hard aiming references.  "good form" doesn't mean standing upright and facing the butt with a drawn bow.  it first means having yer head screwed on right and tight so that you have the confidence to consistently and accurately release the arrow for a good hit on the mark.

no shooting confidence or motivation? don't shoot, just pull back the string to maintain fitness and wait 'til the shooting stoke returns.

upper body alignment is critical, along with shoulder and back tension.  as well as how you aim - getting yer aiming eye down to the shaft and concentrating full bore on the mark (not the arrow).  maintaining tension throughout the upper body and not collapsing.  a good release allows the stored tensions to push the bow away and down, while the bow hand pulls straight back.  

when the shots start feeling "right" and the arrow makes good hits, don't just stand in front of the butt, kneel, twist, crouch - change the lower body and torso angles but maintain the upper body form and consistency.

use only one bow that can be easily drawn and held for 10 seconds without collapsing the bow arm or form.

stick with one type of arrow, and preferably not wood so that bad form and bad aiming can't be attributed to the arrow.

shooting slowly, one arrow at a time, is best, imho - make that one shot count as you pick a spot, aim and release ... but no more than three arrows; and if so, space out the shots - no rapid shooting.  

draw and hold consistently - no short drawing!  watch yer form, or have someone video yer shooting.

shoot at a blank bale and pick a spot.

start at no more than 5 yards ... add five yards at a time, but only as progress improves.  

mix up the above form work with some short distance (no more than 20 yards) roving,

all of the above applies to both noob and seasoned archer/bowhunter.  and you'll know when you can progress to a heavier bow.

ain't archery and bowhunting fun?!   :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
Good stuff Rob, that's great advice for all trad shooters.  

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Rob... excellent.....that post should be copied and saved for all newbies...as well as some that have been around awhile.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
Thanks again to all for the info. Will start using in my daily mind over physical challenge of the bow. I sure enjoy this site and the members willing to help. At 68 I still can learn how to get this down pat. I worked on the bow yesterday and put a new B50 string on it. I fine tuned for brace height on the checkmate firebird 45 lbs at 28 inch, I draw 29 1/4, shooting spilt finger with a tab, arrows are carbon easton 500 spine cut to 30 inch with 125 gr points, and 50 gr extra weight inserts. The feathers are 5.5 inch bananna cut fletch.

my thanks
Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Good stuff Rob!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
also, imo ... this is nothing wrong with "snap shooting" if you KNOW what yer doing.  

some of the best archers/bowhunters aim before and during the draw, and the instant that anchor is reached the arrow is off and away.

this is not a style of shooting for everyone, but if it fits for ya consistently and accurately, go for it!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Great post by Rob.

I think of it as a bucket with a slow leak.  Add a little to it every day and it's easy to keep filled.  Go too long and it takes a lot more effort to re-fill it.

Practice every day, even if it is a few arrows in the basement.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©