Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: String Hitting My Nose!  (Read 890 times)

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
String Hitting My Nose!
« on: May 14, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Why is my string hitting my nose? I anchor with my index finger in the corner of my mouth. I usually can't my bow some, but I'm experimenting with shooting the bow more vertical. I shoot more consistent,but the string is whacking the tip of my nose!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline camolaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Hitting My Nose!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Couple ideads.  If you are right handed, turn you head left a tad to make sure you are looking square at the target.  Make sure your drawing elbow is in line with the arrow, ie pulling straight back.  Make sure you are pulling through and not collapsing at release.  

I am by no means an expert, just had the same problem and the foregoing fixed it (that and remebering to not jam my finger into the corner of my mouth, but just lightly touch it to confirm I hit my anchor).

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
Following up on what camolaw said, it has to do with how you hold your head.  You need to get your eye over the arrow.  There are two ways to turn your head.  If you rotate your head, you will rotate your nose into the path of the string.  If you tilt your head to get your eye over the arrow, your nose should stay to the left (for a RH shooter) out of the path of the string.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
I hit my nose too and the above suggestions cure the problem. It's a big nose so if I don't keep my face squared up then Whack!

Another suggestion... I've heard overdrawing can cause the string to hit the nose too, but I can't say that's been the cause of my problem.

That said if I only nick my nose slightly I really don't worry about it; especially if the arrows are shot well and hitting where I want.  I have drawn blood on more than one occasion though and that can get messy!

I had sinus/nasal surgery about 10 days ago and started shooting again yesterday so you can bet I'm being really careful about my head placement now.

If you shoot using a mental checklist every shot (which you should) checking off "head placement" in the early part of your shot sequence should cure the problem.
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
At Draw

After release

At Draw

After Release

String still hitting my nose. Drew a little blood this time!

But here is where my arrows ended up in the target!

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
Good shooting!  You're holding your bow almost vertical.  I'll bet if you could cant it just a tad more, you might not hit your nose with the string.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Todd Hathaway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
I changed my anchor point because of this problem. It took me forever to find a good one. Now I anchor with my index finger on my cheek bone.

I never hit my nose now, plus the arrow is closer to my eye, giving me a smaller gap at close distances.

I've been shooting this way for over 10 years now.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Corey,

I also tend to graze my nose from time to time. I think Mcdave probably hit the nail on the head. I used to think this was because I was getting tired, but I'm usually grouping really good when I'm hitting my nose. Listening to Rod Jenkins on MBIII explain the reason he wears tape on his nose made alot of sense.  He stated he hit his nose when he had really good alignment.  I figure if a man that shoots as good as he does hits his nose, I'm in good company!
God is good, all the time!!!

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Well Gang,
I shot my first 3D shoot with my recurve today. I shot a 154 out of 240! Second place in my division!
Funny thing is I never hit my nose once!

My 6yr old came out 3rd in the Pee Wee division!
Look at that form! Better than his Dad! lol

The novely shoot was cool! I placed second with a 2 shot score of 17!

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Nice! Love the smile on the little guy!  Where you at in LA?
God is good, all the time!!!

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Not far from New Iberia Fritz. Little town of Charenton. My boy's had a blast at the shoot.
Thanks!

Here is a clip of me shooting today. Y'all tell me how bad I'm messing up. lol

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Michigan Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
What a great tip McDave, about tilting your head instead of rotating it. I tried it this afternoon and it worked like a champ. I've got a nice Bateman tab that I never could use because I just knew I was going to get nailed by the string. I shot maybe 50 arrows today and nothing but good clean, pain free releases. Groups were a lot better also. Thanks again for the tip. Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©