Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Mental Aspects  (Read 506 times)

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
Mental Aspects
« on: June 03, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Just wondering if anyone is into the mental aspects of achery or any performanced based activity. I friend of mine suggested the book In Pursuit of Excellence  by Terry Orlick. My son and I have started reading it and it has been pretty inspirational to us. It helps to understand and practice things such as focus, block out distractions, etc.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mental Aspects
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
One of the best books on this topic is Free Throw: 7 Steps to Success at the Free Throw Line by Tom Amberry

While it is specifically about free throw shooting, the mental aspects are almost exactly what archers do.

Another very good one is Instinctive Archery Insights by Dr Jay Kidwell.  Dr Kidwell often posts here.  His username is J-kid.

IMHO mental training and techniques are useful for those archers who have mastered the physical techniques and skills of archery.  In fact at the highest levels of competitive archery, such as the Olympics, the mental skills may be the only thing separating one archer from the other.

I don't think that mental skills help a beginning archer very much.  He has to learn the physical part first.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©