Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Three fingers under or Mediterranean stye?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline oldway

• Trad Bowhunter
Three fingers under or Mediterranean stye?
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
I was at a 3-D shoot a couple of weeks ago and one of the fellows in or group was shooting three fingers under the string and was shooting very well.I shoot with old two fingers under an one above,as does most of the shooters I know .But I was just curious how many of you guys shoot 3 under compared to mediterranean stye  and in your opinion what are the pros and cons of each.Looking forward to your thoughts,Dell.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Three fingers under or Mediterranean stye?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
3 Under!   :thumbsup:

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
split finger,  three under seems more like aiming to me- depends on the person though.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
3 under, it just feels more natural to me
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Never shot anything else than mediterranean style. I can't imagine not having the arrow locked in control between 2 fingers.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Split finger since 1956 and ain't about to change anytime soon.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
3 under; I shoot more accurately that way.  The only "con" I've noticed is that some bows are a little noiser if you're not careful to set a deep hook on your third finger.  2 nock points on the string solves any problem of arrow control.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline High Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Split finger, 3 under just didn't feel right.

Dave

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
Hi Dell-
I switched to three under a long time ago. Made me more accurate and no finger pinch against nocks. I think it has something to do with bringing the haft closer to your eye. The pinch was the biggee for me. Hope that helps.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline skarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
Hey Dell,
I just started shooting 3 under and was determined to try it long enough to make a proper evaluation. What i found was for me it is easier to keep my bow on target on the draw. It somehow just balances better - with both my bows. So far at least, it also seems easier to minimize left/right errors, probably because the arrow is more in my sight line. As far as up/down, it doesn't make much difference at longer ranges, but I find I'm more accurate at less than 15 yds. I still have a lot to learn, but so far I like it and don't think I'll switch back any time soon. Good shootin' with you!!

Harry

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 01:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by maxwell:
split finger,  three under seems more like aiming to me- depends on the person though.
3 Under forever for me. What's wrong with aiming? There's no external devices involved, still just a stick and a string. And if ya shoot better by "aiming", then aim. Whether you realize it or not, if you shoot "instinctive" you are still aiming because your eyes can't help but see your arrow at full draw and make you allow for the proper position of your bow arm to move into position for the shot. That is, unless you shoot in total darkness!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Split finger here also. Tried 3 under for 3 arrows and did not like it. I have always used
split finger, so that's what I am used too. Beside's, I dont think I could get 70 meters with the fita rig with that high of an anchor.

Offline MMilin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
A shooter who doesn't experiment is doing himself a big disservice.

Archery, like almost everything else in life, is not "one size fits all."

That which doesn't work can be discarded.  That which works is kept as the archer focuses on another aspect of his shooting.

Things to experiment with:
- types of tabs
- anchor points
- split vs. 3-under vs. 2-under
- different bows
- different arrows
- a 1-second hold vs. 2 seconds vs. 3 seconds or
   more
- etc.

Mark

Offline Potoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »
I have used split tab [cordovan] for many years. I recently tried it w 3 fingers under and was impressed enough that next year I may practice with it. Its too late for this season to change what has worked though.
Like it says on the can...'concentrate'

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
Never thought i would but ...3 under (Welch style) It has helped me greatly.
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
You won't know unless you give it an honest try. I'm not talking a day nor two but several weeks or more. I found 3 under a little unnatural at first, but having shot this way all summer I won't ever go back to split. My shooting has greatly improved. Some guys swear by it and some despise it, the aiming thing I believe. I haven't changed how I aim whatsoever. I look at what I want to hit and shoot. Granted the arrow is closer to the eye, that doesn't mean your using it to align the shot. It just means there's less adjusting for your noggin to deal with. Your bow hand is your front sight, and your eye is your rear sight. I believe the closer the arrow is to that plane the less room for error. Give it a fair shake, you may like, you may not. The object is to get the arrow where you want it, be it a ten ring or behind the front shoulder of a whitetail.
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
I shot the Fita 3D world champs last month and they allow 3 under in Longbow but only around half the shooters were using 3 under and the top four shooters were all Split-finger shooters.

I use split for Longbow and 3 under with Recurve they both work, just do what's the most comfortable for you.

Offline chasesDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
Maxfit, I agree completly split finger for 35 years and now three fingers under and like it better.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
I've been using three under with the arrow sandwiched between an upper and lower string nock...no pinch on the nock and a quiet draw...and I like the sight picture much better than split finger...top nock is brass and bottom is served on...works for me.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Never tried three under.  I would be too worried that the arrow would slip off the string.  I like the reassurance that split gives me as i literally have a hold on the back of the arrow.  The last thing i feel my shooting needs is me worrying every time i draw as to whether the arrow has stayed nocked properly with three under.

Maybe some may find that silly, but to me it's very important.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©