Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: help for a newb  (Read 924 times)

Offline pfrantz

• Trad Bowhunter
help for a newb
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
As some of you know, I just got into the traditional archery scene.  I'm having a little trouble coming up with a consistent anchor point.  So, I was wondering if a few members would share what they use as an anchor?  

I've found if I shoot split fingers I can feel the glove of my index finger at the corner of my mouth which gives me a consistant anchor, but I don't shoot as accurately because my head is up to high to look down the arrow properly.

I shoot better with 3 fingers below, but then I don't have that consistant anchor.  I just go by how much arrow is left outside the shelf.

Also, it seems most members shoot off the shelf.  This is how I've been shooting, but I was thinking I might be better off shooting off a rest.  

Thanks for the help!

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help for a newb
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Hey,
I ancor at the corner of my mouth.....when I come to anchor    :saywhat:

You should be able to do the same with split finger or three under just might be something you have to get used to.

Off the shelf should still be great.
Allan

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
If your arrow shelf is flat, then an elevated rest, or a feather rest would probably help. Most barebow shooters like to have the arrow as close to their hand as possible, though, as it won't be as sensitive to variations in the cant of the bow, and is more natural to aim.

When I anchor, I have my thumb along the back edge of my jawbone. The other anchor point that I use (it is good to have two or three that you feel each time you draw) is not so rock-steady, as I use the corner of the rear edge of my fletch on my face to feel when I am at full draw. Going from shields to parabolic is not so difficult, but bare-shaft testing is an adventure!

A mouth corner can move, as can a lower jaw, so a lot of good shooters advise touching a tooth in your upper jaw, as that won't be wandering around the range.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
I shoot 3-under.If shooting instictive I will lock the the vally between my thunb and index finger behind my jaw and my index finger in corner of mouth..when I gap shoot I have a higher anchor where i put the valley between my thumb & index finger locked into my cheek bone and finger in the corner of my mouth..( when gap shooting I close one eye and use the tip of my arrow for my pin..its sorta like looking thru a peep at a pin like i used to do with my wheelie bow YEARS AGO..)
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
use the search function and search for anchor point , you'll get alot of info to read.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
3 under and index finger in the corner of the mouth
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »
3 under and Bird finger in the corner of my mouth.
Denny

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
So how are you "aiming" that you need to look down the arrow?

I find that the last thing that I want to do when shooting instinctively is see the arrow. I want to concentrate on the spot I am shooting at.

BTW I shoot left handed with a split finger draw anchoring under my chin. I shoot right handed three fingers under with the tip of my index finger in the corner of my mouth.
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Over the last year or so I shoot 3 under with my first finger at the corner of my mouth and the cock feather of the arrow lightly touching the tip of my nose. I used to use the middle finger tip at the corner of my mouth, and that worked better, but some age-related shoulder arthritis (and the fact that I am too cheap or broke to buy a lower poundage bow, at least not yet) has dictated the newer anchor that is a touch lower. With the higher anchor, my shoulder grinds and pops so much that it could easily be heard at 20 yards -- it hurts, too. This getting old stuff is not for the weak of heart.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline pfrantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone.

Dave, I was using the arrow as kind of an aiming point.  I'm guessing now that is the wrong idea?
You are telling me to just pick a spot I want to hit, and concentrate on that?

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
I shoot three under, with my thumb knuckle (the big one closest to my hand) behind my jaw bone and the tip of the cock feather touching the end of my nose - yep got it from Rick Welch on one of his DVDs.  As a result the arrow is right below my eye and I do sight down it, not exactly the way you would with a rifle but close.  I put the point where I think it needs to be to hit the point on the target I'm focused on.  I've seen people on here call that an "instictive gap" method and others suggest that it's what gap becomes when you've shot enough that you brain just cuts to the chase instead of setting the shot up a step at a time.

In my view trying to conciously ignore the arrow gives you one more thing to think about and thinking can only hurt the ball club - it screws up concentration. Whatever you decide to do, your brain is going to use all the clues it can find to get the arrow to the selected spot.  Trying to tell it to ignore a piece of useful information is about as useful as trying to tell your computer to do what you want it to do instead of what it was programmed to do.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
I'm guessing now that is the wrong idea?

Not at all. There is nothing wrong with having the arrow line up with the dominant eye.

Steve

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by pfrantz:
Thanks for the help everyone.

Dave, I was using the arrow as kind of an aiming point.  I'm guessing now that is the wrong idea?
You are telling me to just pick a spot I want to hit, and concentrate on that?
Hey I am very much a newbie to this whole process too. There is no such thing as a wrong idea in any kind of shooting; just some ideas that work better than others.

As you can tell from my statement about a master eye I pretty clearly do not have a dominant eye any more which is why I try to stick to shooting that is as close to totally instinctive as I can get. Seems to work for me.
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
And I would tend to listen to advice from a member with a two digit member number like Steve.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
I would base finding a good anchor point off of two things. First, find a spot that allows the arrow to be aligned directly under the eye. Your face shape will dictate this to some degree. For example, if you anchor in the corner of the mouth but the arrow is outside your direct line of sight it will be more difficult to achieve consistency in relation to windage. Second, make sure your anchor allows you to achieve a good full draw that positions your body in positive alignment. Basically, make sure the elbow is behind the arrow. I know an excellent shooter that anchors with his finger on his back molar because the corner of the mouth prevents him from achieving full draw.

This is where experimenting with different points will help you find you perfect anchor.

I prefer hard anchor points. I shoot three under. My anchor is basically two points. My index finger tip is touching my cheekbone below the eye with the finger snugged up under the cheekbone. With this the string just touches my brow. Similar to the feather on the nose thing but, for me, more repeatable. When I switched to three under it took me a couple weeks of trying different anchors until I found what works best.

As for aiming, don't be afraid to try different techniques. Instinctive is a valid and deadly technique in the hands of a practiced archer. Some people are gifted with the natural hand/eye coordination to achieve a high degree of consistency. Some struggle with it for years. Gapping is an equally succesful technique. Many people like an external reference to help align and aid with aiming. And there are hybrid styles that blend the two, like split vision or pre-aiming. In the end it is only the shooter who know what they are doing and the name of the game is successfully hitting the target. Try the various styles and objectively see what works best for you.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
I'm sure there are some 1, 3, 4 and 5 digit members that can provided excellent advice as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©