Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Most important part of the shot?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
Most important part of the shot?
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Things are getting pretty quiet here lately.  Hopefully this will create a little respectful debate:

We all know that a shot is made up of many different parts that make up the whole.  All of the parts are important. For example a perfect release is irrelevant if you forget to draw the bow.   :)  

But it seems to me that some parts are more equal than others. What do you think is the most important part of your shot?

What is the one thing that makes your shot accurate or if you don't get it right, really messes it up?

Thanks for your opinion,
Allen

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most important part of the shot?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Generallly, I can tell what I did wrong usually before the arrow reaches the target, and then the hit on the target usually verifies the mistake(s).  
I beleive that all parts of the shot are equally important, after all with out the right equation, the perfect sum cannot be reached?
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
I think holding your bow arm on target till the arrow hits is the most important. This is a step that when I do it I impress myself sometimes and when I don't I often know it before the arrow hits. Of course every step is important but I key on this. Every sporting activity has follow through and for archery, holding on target after the shot is it.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Proper alignment.....it solves most of the things that will be mentioned as important in this thread....such as just mentioned - Bow Arm.

Proper alignment also CREATES the proper this-that- and what fores that are needed to equal that 'sum of all parts'.

Proper alignment also allows you to create and manufacture shots in the fields that will be much more accurate than shots run off improper alignment and muscling the bow.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Proper alignment.....it solves most of the things that will be mentioned as important in this thread....such as just mentioned - Bow Arm.

Proper alignment also CREATES the proper this-that- and what fores that are needed to equal that 'sum of all parts'.

Proper alignment also allows you to create and manufacture shots in the fields that will be much more accurate than shots run off improper alignment and muscling the bow.
Everyone should read this at least twice.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Is there a post somewhere that you go over this in more detail Terry? I couldn't find one. Double anchor is still working for me, thanks.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by WestTnMan:
Is there a post somewhere that you go over this in more detail Terry? I couldn't find one. Double anchor is still working for me, thanks.
Go to the sticky at the top of the shooters forum for the thread "Terry's Form Clock".

There is some excellent information in that thread!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
I think the most important part of the shot is doing things consistently.  If you do anything the same way long enough, it will become repeatable and you can put the shots where you want them to go.  If you look at the archery traditions throughout the world, you will find many different ways of holding the bow and drawing the arrow.  But I'm sure that each and every one of them requires that a person be consistent if he is to become accurate.

I think the reason Terry's comment works, is because it is easier to develop consistency if you use proper allignment.  I think if you could learn to always hold your shoulders at a 47 degree angle to the target, you could learn to be just as good a shot as if you hold them at 90 degrees to the target.  In fact, I think there are quite a few archers who learn to be good shots shooting with their shoulders open to the target, either because they physically can't shoot with their shoulders perpendicular to the target, or they just like it better that way.  I've read that it's easier for some people to develop good back tension when they draw the bow with their shoulders open to the target.

I don't find that to be the case with me, and I try to model my own form as closely after Terry's clock as I can.  But there are still a lot of ways to miss the target once you've drawn the bow with proper allignment, some of which are a loss of focus, a blown release, not hitting your anchor, yips, moving your head or not having it in the same position with respect to the arrow from shot to shot, slight differences in your bow hand or bow wrist position, how much you bend your bow arm elbow, whether a shoulder is up or down, etc. etc.  All of which comes down to consistency.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I only can comment for myself, but.....I've seen it in others Ive taught trad shooting.

Concentration on the spot to hit.  If I break that, take my eyes off it for ANY reason............ZING!!!!!

OH MAN!!!!!!!! (*&^&*&^%^&*()(&^!!!

but .....seriously, it is the ONE thing that will kill a good shot for me. I have to concentrate on that spot before I draw and entirely through the shot.

Of course many things can mess up a shot but that's the BIGGIE for me.
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Good subject. I switched to 3 under 2 months ago and have shot at least once a day. Sometimes when I release it goes 18" to the left or more. Its got me puzzled. I have good form and grip the bow the same way each time, and hold at the same anchor...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Markus77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 02:59:00 AM »
Concentration. Good form can helps when your not focused, but for me I usually hits high. But if I am very concentrated and aiming really good, I can hit the spot no matter what, if I halfdraw the bow, don´t reach my ancor or anything. That´s some danger in that, it´s not so easy to make the same mistake twice, you could try to cheat with every shoot.
 The thing for me is from MOBB3, practice form on blank bale, and practice aiming on a target.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by tim roberts:
Generally, I can tell what I did wrong usually before the arrow reaches the target, and then the hit on the target usually verifies the mistake(s).  
I beleive that all parts of the shot are equally important, after all with out the right equation, the perfect sum cannot be reached?
Same for me. I "evolved" quickly, for the simple reason that I also mostly know what I did wrong, sometimes just after the release. My shooting is very good at the time being, for another simple reason; focus and concentration. And with concentration, I mean being one with the bow, the arrow, the target and everything else. This may sound like jibberish, but it really is the most wonderful feeling.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
focus and concentration, if i slack on those i shoot bad, no matter how good my from is
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I agree with Terry on the alignment. But to add to it, for me it is maintaining back tension throughout the shot. If I do not, I begin to collapse, bow arm will drop and I will hit low and left just about every time. Of course if you are properly aligned, it is much easier to maintain back tension  :)
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
You guys mentioning concentration as #1 make some valid points.  I guess I always consider that a given...if it is a given, proper alignment can solve/alleviate/prevent most all physical shooting problems, and create/build/ maintain all the positive ones....but it can't do a thing about your mind not being right.

So Yeah...I agree that concentration if not a given is more important than proper alignment.

Good stuff guys!

WestTnMan .....have you got the Trad Gang DVD?   I have a shooting section in it that's all about proper alignment....and a short one about reverse canting, and one about getting shots off and maximizing your range and minimizing your movement.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Terry, looking for a copy now in the classifieds. If not I will order one new. I want to "see" it explained. You always have good information on shooting and I appreciate you being willing to repeat yourself to help us all out.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
FOCUS on the spot, is the most important for me , given my draw back tension are correct. And a solid anchor, is what does it for me . To me my anchor almost becomes like a trigger...once Im in FOCUS mode or concentration on my spot I want.I dont care how far , groove in the muscle memories and Bam! Focus, let the shot happen...that what works for me ...hey good luck yall ..  :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
If proper alignment is important for the shot, I guess my alignment was perfect to begin with. I mean, when I'm having a great section, the arrow goes where ever I point. And the fun thing is, it doesn't surprise me at all. As the old japanese kyudo practitioners used to say; the perfect shot is not just hitting the bullseye, but being able to visualize how the arrow will be hitting the bullseye, even before the release.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Fatboy , I agree...when I shoot I see the shot , before I release my arrow!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline backwater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
For me its making sure that my bow hand has my arrow on target,then making sure that my bow hand does not move until my arrow is in the bail.When i do this every thing else seems to work just fine.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©