Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Finger position for string walking  (Read 661 times)

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
Finger position for string walking
« on: June 17, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
If moving your fingers lower on the string from the nocking point lowers your point of impact, can you move your fingers above the nocking point to raise your point on?
Ken Thornhill

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Finger position for string walking
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
You could, I suppose, but most stringwalkers do all of the walking below the nock.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
That wouldn't work. You might hurt someone doing that  :p    It would be much better to just lower your anchor point to increase point on  :wavey:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
If you anchor with your middle finger, anchoring with your index finger will raise your point on...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Ditto on the above. You could shoot split finger for a longer point on or use a lower anchor. Of course, that induces more variability. You could simply start using references below the arrow tip for a past point on distance. For example, you could use the shelf of the bow at longer distances. If you use an elevated rest using the shelf normally gives you about 10-20 yards more distance.

Modern Traditional is a very good video for someone interested in learning the fundamentals of stringwalking.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
As an old reformed NFAA target archer and string walker I used to anchor pretty low anyway with index finger in corner of mouth.  You could get a pretty long shot there.  For the really long ones like the 60 and 80 yarders I would shoot split finger, same anchor.  Forget face walking.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
I fool with face walking, I have 2 different anchors that I use depending on if the course will be mainly short, 40 yds or less or if I will face long ones 80 yds + (rules around here for longbow are generally that you can use any finger position and any anchor as long as index finger touches nock and you can't switch up anchors during the shoot.) Anyway, one thing that I have found with multiple anchors is that the different anchors change my draw length enough that depending on the arrows I have at the time it can adversely affect tuning. With my highest anchor I lose close to an inch. So there is some validity to reddgge's "Forget face walking." unless you really get into it and really figure out what is going to happen to arrow flight as you switch anchors. I tried at one shoot where it was legal for me to do it, and I did ok, but it was a real battle. It even lead to creeping as I began to lose confidence. So for me I can use different anchors but only if I commit to one and shoot that way all day long.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 05:36:00 AM »
I use to play with it and used a Wilson tab, I could use the stiching to count down the number to change the shot at close targets, all the way to 40 yards. At 40 yards I would go to spilt finger.

shooting 3 fingers under nock point
5 stiches was for 15 yards
3 stiches was for 25 yards
1 stich   was for 35 yards

spilt finger at 40 yards and above. I would then use the point of arrow on and or above the target.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
Many years ago I shot barebow with a compound and shot three fingers under while face walking.  It's a much better system than string walking.  You don't have any arrow flight problems as you do with string walking.
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©