Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Using a sight...update!  (Read 733 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
Using a sight...update!
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
I have been shooting now for a few years. Target panic struck me early and made me regress in my accuracy to a point I almost gave up. But now I have worked back up to being deadly at about 12 yards and good at 15 but when i get to 20+ yards I just have a hard time keeping them where I want them.

I don't miss my small Block anymore even out to 30 yards but there is no way I would consider myself accurate.

I can shoot a tick of the butt of a coon from 50 yards with iron sights and i thought this might be a good way to go to get my confidence back and just make me a deadly shot.

Here is the big question though... is there a sight idea out there that is pretty rugged but not bulky and obtrusive? I love the simple lines of my bow and don't want a huge gizmo hanging off it. I WILL NOT drill into my bow and it will be used for hunting.

I think I could do pretty will with a single pin set for 20 yards. Anything less than that and I'm good. Anything more and i can learn the arch.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Using a sight...update!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
You can often find old tape-on sights on that large internet auction site for a few dollars.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
btw i do cant my bow some... but that shouldn't be an issue with a single pin right?
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
No, it shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep your cant consistent from shot to shot.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
Get a rubber band and a kitchen match. Hold the match on the riser, put band around it, pull band around riser and attatch on the other end of the match. Cheap single pin that you can move up and down, left and right.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
The match may work in the backyard but I'd go for something sturdier in the woods.  I'll bet if you put a WTB in the classifieds you'd get lots of offers from those who took the sights off of bows and threw them into their junk boxes.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
I think you should seriously consider using some form of "gap shooting" or "point reference" before you use sights. It's very similar to using sights, depending on what type of gap method of aiming you choose to use. I recommend reading Byron Ferguson's book "Become the Arrow". Then, after trying these methods, you may find that you don't need sights after all.

:)    :archer:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
The SRF site 3 Rivers sells can be put on a riser without inserts and can help you find your groove for the longer shots. It can help you train yourself to not need it if you put your time in.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
just for an update....
I put the match on my bow just to see how It might work...GREAT!!

It seems that the years i have spent shooting fused well with the sight pin idea. I don't use the sight pin like a rifle sight to where I have to really hold on and line everything up. I have found if I get the sight pin close to where I want to shoot.. it dissapears and I'm just looking at the target.. great groups out to 25 yards yesterday and good shots at 40!

Might not need it forever but for now its great... I HIGHLY recommend trying it
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
Well like i posted above the sight has worked great but i have a question.

After reading about gap shooting I think thats what I'm doing with this sight. Instead of using my arrow tip I'm just using a point on my riser and can set my own point on spot. Is this correct?
 So is using a sight pin just a different way of using the gap method? My shots are just as quick as before and both eyes are open.

And if i use it this way isn't the same as the SRF sight because I'm still using a sight picture?
Combo Hunter 46@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©