Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Formaster in action  (Read 1042 times)

Offline onesharpbroadhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Formaster in action
« on: July 02, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
A while back I was told about a product called a "formaster" by an Olympic Archer in another forum. I could not visualize what it did or how it worked and could not find any video's of it on the net. I ended up purchasing it and believe it is an awesome aid to our form.
I made a short video of me using it so that others who might be interested can see what it is and what it does.

Excuse the cheap camera and unrehearsed dialogue (and the ugly guy demonstrating it) - but i think you can get an idea how this thing works and how much it could possibly help new and experienced archers alike.

The only place that I know of that carries this is Lancaster Archery Supply at this time.

Offline Hardhed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Formaster in action
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
That's a great video - Thanks

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Great demo video. I watched it last night and can see how it could be a great practice tool. Thanks.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
No problem - I was hesitant to buy it - a  member of the 2004 US Olympic Team recommended it to me on the *********** - but I could not grasp what it did - I searched the net for a video of someone using one and could not find one - I bought it - and loved it - and then tried getting other guys to try it - and the same problem - they could not fully grasp what it did without seeing someone using it - so I decided to make a quick video of me using it - and that was it.

Hope it helps other archers as much as it does me.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
That's basically the problem I had.  I couldn't visualize how it would work one way if you had back tension and another way if you didn't, but your video does a good job of explaining that.  I suppose I'll find out for myself pretty soon in Rod's class, if he has one there.

Interesting that you would think you needed it.  Most of us who have been shooting for a while probably feel like we have good back tension, and I know you've been shooting longer, or at least at a higher level, than I have.  Did it tell you anything about your own back tension?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
My back tension was pretty good - but it told me a great deal about the muscles in my bow arm - when I first started using that my bow arm would move quite a bit - but now I have much greater control over the bow arm and it barely moves - someday I hope to have no movement at all.

It also helped me to realize that follow through is not just in the bow arm - but also in the release - and I now follow through with my releaase and allow my release hand to fly back - in immitation of Olympic archers releases.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Good vid clip!
I've been using a formaster for several years and they definitely make you a better shooter in short order.
 The Formaster also works well when adjusted where you can't get purchase on the string with the drawing fingers to learn or reinforce drawing the bow with back muscles vs using the arm.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
I had some back tension so I didn't collapse the first time I used it.  I was just not isolating them enough.  It really helped with maintaining back tension and just relaxing my hand for a release.  

My weekness is just like broadhead's.  My bow arm.  Once my back is locked I can hold a 60# bow for over a minute with no problem.  Its my bow arm that starts loosing it rather quickly.
You get to keep what you kill.  If it were easy there would be no value in it.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
I hope that the video encourages more guys to buy one - it is an awesome product that can really help us become better shots.

Offline Scooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Nice video.  They are also available from K1.

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
I made one thanks to this video, good job
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Does that mean that it only works with recurves& compounds,not longbows?
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
In OneSharp's video he is shooting the RIGID Formaster not the Formaster as he states. The Formaster has rubber tubing. The Rigid Formaster has a "rope" to catch the string. Guys shooitng over 55# i would suggest the Formaster not the Rigid Formaster as in the video.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
you can use them with a longbow too

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
Nice video.  There's also a demo on "Masters of the Barebow 3" by Rod Jenkins.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
ttt
Lon Scott

Offline AKM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the great video! Cool range!

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
I had never heard of one of these, but found it interesting so I made one. Took all of about 2min thanks to some strap I had with buckles already on it. I found I had great back tension right from the start. It did get my right back muscles burning after a few shots, might have been the jolt of the string catching the bow string. I had about 1.5" of slack in the string, to ensure a clean release past the fingers. I thought everybody must use their back, so I tried it on my 6yr old son with his 15lb bow. He had excellent back tension, as his draw arm didnt move any either. My question, is there any point in using this if ones form and back tension seem to be good? I didnt notice my bow arm jumping around as was mentioned above. Do you guys practice drawing your bow with just this device and not your hand? Guess I dont see the bennefit of this?
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
You draw the bow with your hand just like you would if you were shooting - when you let go of the string is when you find out if you are using good back tension and have good control of the bow arm.  I use it once or twice a week for about 10-20 shots just to make sure I am using the right muscles, etc...

Offline parspektiv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
Assuming that my arm is not moving forward after release when using a formaster, is the back tension then "perfect", or are there still improvments to look for?

Look at this. Any comments on my form are welcome!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©