Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Newb  (Read 555 times)

Offline trad.-ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Newb
« on: July 03, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
I'm truly lost, I just started tradional archery and am having trouble trying to find a correct arrow. I would appreciate any help out there.  My set up is as follows:  Left-handed Bear Kodiak Hunter; 40# at 28; split finger off the shelf.  I am looking for a suggested arrow for I have no idea where to start. I would prefer not to go carbon and try either aluminum or wood.  All suggestions are welcome and thank you for letting me be a part of this great site.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newb
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Probably 2016 aluminum arrows with 125 grain tips would work fine in your setup.  A lot depends on your actual draw length.  From the looks of your picture, I would guess you will be drawing the full 28" or even more.  But you should check by drawing an arrow several times and having someone mark the arrow at the back of the bow (the side facing away from you) with a magic marker or something, and measuring from the valley of the nock to the average of the marks.

You want your arrow length to be about an inch more than your draw length.  If you haven't yet developed good form, your draw length could increase a bit.

If you have a really long draw length, 30" or more, I might have to rethink the 2016's.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Finding arrows that tune to your bow is always a fun trip!  My first question is why not carbon??  Many trad shooters use carbon arrows, including myself.  I started with Easton Legacy 2016's and 2117's.  I then tried carbon and will never look back!  IMHO carbon is the best arrow material to use, especially when first starting out.  The reason is that carbon is more durable and accurate, forgiving, and easier to tune.  From my experience, aluminum arrows are finicky and require a little playing around to get a good tune.  Carbon accommodates a wider range of spine.  For instance, my friend with a 50# Morrison and draw of 31" uses the same spine arrow as I do where my Robertson is 50# and my draw is 28".  I can shoot this same arrow out of my 55# longbow as well.  Carbon is just more versatile.  Woodies are great too, trickier to tune and require straightening, but they are super quiet to shoot.  I find aluminum to be a bit cumbersome personally.  Its louder off the string, dents, bends, and is harder to tune.  I think you would serve yourself well by checking out the Beman ICS Hunter or the Easton Epic.  Both carbon arrows are reasonably priced, tough, and very accurate.  That said there are those who stand by aluminum and love it... its really all personal choice, but I really think you should at least loose a few carbons at the local club or shop... just my take.

Oh and Keep working at it!!  I know the frustration you are probably feeling... we all do.  Shooting instinctive is difficult, but all the more rewarding because of that very fact.  I have been shooting instinctive for 2 years now and finally seeing solid groups.  That said I still shoot everyday (mainly b/c I love to shoot!)  Stickbow shooting is all about the work and love of the bow.  It takes time to really perfect your form and lock it into muscle memory.  It is very worth it.  I find a greater sense of accomplishment when shooting on par or better than my compound friends with my recurve.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline trad.-ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
Thanx for the info guys, McDave I do draw 28" at the moment but my form is definitely not perfect!  I believe I will try the setup you metioned due it being more in my price range.  Mrpenquin thank you for you input also, I had really debated on the idea of what material I wanted to use for arrows and decided this route due to price and also at some point will want to move to woodys when I've perfected my form and technique.  Thank you again for the input.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©