Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrow Questions From a New Guy  (Read 524 times)

Offline Rage N Woodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Questions From a New Guy
« on: July 09, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
Hello!  Any help would be appreciated on these two:

1)  I am new to trad as well as to fletching....currently I am fletching for both myself and a friend using right helical.  I'm using 4 inch parabolic feathers (RW)----- Both of us are right handed shooters and I was told yesterday we should be shooting left helical to spin the arrow away from the bow.  My question is--- "Is that correct?"  Both of us are grouping well enough at 10-20 and I'm doing ok at 30--he's not shooting that far yet.  I am using full length arrows could I help stabilize flight with 5 inch or will it make that much difference?

2)  Arrow weight---I am shooting targets and hunting with a 47lb @ 30' draw...my arrows are around 475 grain tip and all....
My buddy is shooting 375 grains tip and all from 50lbs at 28......
Is he too Light for Hunting?  He is grouping fine and shooting straight  But he can shoot my arrows just as straight......

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Questions From a New Guy
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
Right vs Left makes no difference as far as I've seen, just as long as every feather on the arrow is the same. 475 for #47 is fine, thats a shade over 10 grains per #. 375 is awfull light for #50, that's onlt 7.5 grains per # and most folks consider 8 the absolute minimum. If he can shoot yours just as well the extra 100 grains would only help with penetration, as long as he's getting good arrow flight.
Welcome to the fire!
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Barry Green-Burns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
I have experienced no difference with right or left either. Your friend should be careful with the 375's. That is almost like dry firing the bow and could shatter it. Most bowyers recommend 9-10 grains per inch.

Green-Shanks
BGB

Offline Barry Green-Burns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
PS.

You could tell your friend to take 2 strips of weedeater string the length of the arrow(two strips of .080 stringives a little over 100 grains of weight)and gleu them with a drop of super glue into the nock and insert the rest into the arrow to the insert and he should be fine.

Green-Shanks
BGB

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
As far as fletching length is concerned, the larger the diameter of the arrow shaft, the longer the feather it takes to stabilize the arrow. So, generally, with aluminum shafts, I like to use 5" feathers, with the exception of maybe 2016s or 1916s. On these, along with micro-diameter carbon shafts, you can very often get by with 4" feathers.

I, too, think your buddy would benefit more from using arrows closer to the weight of your arrows than the ones he's using now.

I myself am using a 557 gr. arrow and pulling around 51# with my Beeler longbow and am very satisfied with the speed and penetration of my arrows.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©