Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Formaster  (Read 1243 times)

Offline mudSwine

• Trad Bowhunter
Formaster
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:28:00 AM »
I'm very new to shooting a long bow. I've been reading a looking at a lot of good info. I bought Masters of the barebow 1,2and 3.
  I've found and old Bear Cub bow from when I was a kid growing up and thought it be best to start shooting with it to help build up my shoulders. I have torn both rotater cuffs when I was younger.
    Now how many of you have used the Formaster for training ?  Was it worth $ 40.00 bucks ?

Thanks

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Formaster
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
yes
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
Yes I used one to train.  Proper back tension and knowing that you are executing it correctly are definately worth the $40 bucks.  There are a few plans floating around the internet on how to build your own formaster though, if you are so inclined.  I picked up a used one for $25 and it was money well spent.  Between it and a dryfire bow I made, I have seen improvements in my form.
  Here is a link on it's use.  Make sure you get a rigid formaster.  That's the one to use on longbows and recurves.
 http://www.texasarchery.org/Photos/Formaster/Formaster.htm

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Very Interesting, I Just might have to Construct One of these Gems!! OR, where can I Purchase such a Critter?
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
I just bought one............Let me tell you.......1st time you shoot one on a 65# bow...well the feeling is like your first flip off the high dive when you were a kid.....i have shot it 100 times...it's interesting.. think it works better on a 45-55# bows...
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline mudSwine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
Joebuck
   On masters of the Barebow Vol. 3  they say  to use with a  60# or less.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
The reason it says to use it with a lighter bow, is so you do not hurt your shoulder when you release if you haven't mastered your form.  If you are collapsing on the shoot, you could definitely do some damage using a heavy bow and the formaster.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
mudSwine..the guy that invented it( Richard Carella) says up 85#..I have never seen the video your talking about...........is it worth it?....................................................................................ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................no.not for me....i was already holding properly with back tension but it's fun to do

Offline mudSwine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Sorry I did not mean to talk or post out of place . I'm very new to this and I'm just trying to learn.
  joebuck I was wrong.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
mudswine , think nothing of it..in time you'll learn everyone types over me on here........let me shoot mine a couple more times and i'll mail mine to you and you can make your own version and send mine back?.......heres a pic for your avatar and signame......i got it off one of my cameras this week

Offline mudSwine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Thanks, That's great pic, Now I just need to find out how to add it to my avatar.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
joebuck....my Formaster manual is several years old, but heres what it says:

2004 IBO World Champion

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »
2006 is my Revised Instruction manual. I bought this product 2 weeks. Like i initially said..heavier bow...harder it is to accomplish what it was designed for.IMO

1993 Howard Hill World Champion

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 01:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the updated manual. Now I'm curious as to why Carella upped the max weights???

I think I'll give him a call and ask.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 02:11:00 AM »
Shooto8s...how far does your string travel after you release?.1"? or 2"....tthanks

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
What I've done joebuck is have wrapped a single arrow with some B50 so I can lash the arrow to my string.  I just wrap it around the string.  The B50 is waxed heavy so I don't have to tie it on.

This allows me to shoot it in my living room or anywhere I don't want the arrow to fly off.  I also don't have to go pick up the arrows or reload.

If I am drawing and releasing without an arrow I close my eyes.

I've owned mine for about 6 months.  The string should travel a couple of inches.  You can make it shorter or longer if you prefer.  Keep it close until you get use to it.

I shoot mine on a 60# bow.  Its not a problem.  When you release and your draw arm is rock solid you are showing good back tension.
You get to keep what you kill.  If it were easy there would be no value in it.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Out of curiosity, I called up the present owner of the company that makes the Formaster and he said the 85# max weights were for the version of the Formaster that use rubber tubing, which cushions the shock. For the Rigid model he still recommended 60# as a max, but said it could be used to 70 # by very strong guys who aren't collapsing at release.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip CJ. I may buy the formaster also and compare to Rigid.

Which you prefer SHOOTO8S? ..the Rigid or Formaster.?

Offline pete Darby @ home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
I just got mine three days ago and found I don't collapse on release and use my shoulder to draw rather than my arm.  However it has been worth the money because in perusing the book of instructions I came upon that picture shown earlier in the post with the triangles.  I realized I was shooting with my string hand in line to much.  When I raised it I was amazed.  My draw became efffortless and very smooth.
Peter Darby

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
Peter, the Formaster is to help you draw with your BACK not your shoulder. It helps to isolate those back muscles into continuing to pull through to conclusion of the shot...instead of pulling with your arm or shoulder to one point.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©