Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: group sizes for target shooting  (Read 1378 times)

Offline FeelTheHunt

• Trad Bowhunter
group sizes for target shooting
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
whats your  average group size from 20 yards?  Mine is about 8 inches, with six arrows, i just started, is  this ok?
#45 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: group sizes for target shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
If you JUST started I would say that is pretty darn good.  Honestly I think my group at 20 yards is about 3-4 inches.  I only shoot groups of 3.  I am sure there are a lot of people on here that would put me to shame.  When I first started I was doing good to keep 6 arrows in my bag target.  Don't get the idea that every time I go out to shoot I shoot a 3 inch group I don't.

Offline FeelTheHunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
thanks alot!!!! haha makes me feel better that im not the only one that was not great as a beginner, haha there is hope for me n the trad world.
#45 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
that's great for just starting out!!!! I shoot about a 2" group at 20. I also shoot around 125 arrows a day. When I slack off for a few months and don't shoot much my group grows quite a bit  :)
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:12:00 AM »
That's real good for just starting out! You might improve on that by just shooting 2 or 3 arrows instead of 6, the extra walking lets your muscles have a time to relax. Also helps with concentration instead of just flinging away.
Denny

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 05:02:00 AM »
I shoot a max of 3 at a time. and get a 6 inch group.

But I am only 68n years young and have been at it for 55 years.

Oh did I tell you I shoot lousy but have fun at this sport of ours...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 05:09:00 AM »
3-4" groups at 20yds would win every 3D shoot in our area.  And, we have some pretty decent shooters around these parts.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:21:00 AM »
yeah that was a guestimation I really never have measured a group.  After writing that I thought about coming back and saying 5 but then I thought a heck with it.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
My one shot groups are superb.  :biglaugh:    Seriously, I seldom stand in one spot and shoot multiple arrows. Even when shooting at a stationary target I usually move around and shoot at different distances, angles with each shot.  
     8" sounds very good to me, there are days that I doubt I could consistently do much better with that many arrows.    
    You'll find that the smaller the target, the smaller the group.  Ex; Shoot at a small nerf-ball instead of a pie plate.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Ok I kind of took a little offense to GMMATs comment.  So I just came off midnights and would not be able to sleep until I tested this.  I shot 4 sets of 3 shots for warm up shots and then said ok these are the 3-3 shot groups.  I got a 2 3/4,a 6 3/8 and a 4 1/8.  So I guess he is correct this morning I could not hold a 3-4 inch group at 20 yards consistently (which I already said I should have said 5 after thinking about it).  Now GMMAT don't think anything of this I just wanted to be able to sleep and to be as truthful as could be. I know this is pathetic but I pride myself on telling the truth.  And the truth is you where correct today. The last thing I want to do is give anyone a false Idea on here.

Offline Romans3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Wow, you guys are all great. I've been at this a while and couldn't gauruntee any better than 10" at 20 yards. Even then I might have a flier every once in a while. If you want my BEST group at 20 yards, that's different. But if I just walked out in the back yard right now with six arrows at 20 yards... I could't predict that I'd do any better than about 10".
"conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ" Phil. 2:27

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
Depends on how many arrows make up a group...the 300 round counts ALL 60 arrows and that group will be out in the 8" range for most even though there may be a round when 4 or 5 arrows are touching for a 1" group which if off center isn't really a 1" group IMO anyway

genrally speaking my first shot is within a few inch's or less of what I,m shooting at around the 20 yrd range

fliers sometimes happen when it's for real so they should count when they sometimes happen in practice.Mr Murphy tends to show up at the most inoppertune times I shoot 8" groups
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
I'd be real satisfied with 8" groups.  Nice work!  I agree with longstiks, shoot max of 3 arrows at a time during practice.  Tired/weak muscles promote bad habits.  Also, if you're just starting out, make sure you're devoting time/concentration to form.  Keep shooting and don't forget to enjoy time spent with a bow in your hand.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline the force

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
2" groups at 20 yards is about normal for me
Hoyt Tiburon

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
We can all shoot nice little groups in the yard.That seems to go away on a 3d range however.Group size does not seem to mean as much when it comes to 3d scores.As good as I shoot in the yard I still wind up shooting some 5s at times.If group sizes in the yard were the same at 3ds I would only shoot 10s.  :bigsmyl:  

The best shooters I know would probably be somewhere in the 6" 5 arrow group range if everything was always added in.They win or place about anywhere they go so I have to call that good shooting.  :)  jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Squirrelbane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
My 1 arrow groups are 11/32" every time.   :D

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Heh Heh....

"Yard" groups.....  They tend to be like the one great golf shot that everyone has made.  Never mind all the shots that went into the next fairway.  ;)
Otto

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 05:31:00 AM »
After reading the groups others are getting I when out yesterday and strarted shooting to see if I could improve my groups size.

Sure worked got my first robin hood at 15 yards with  xx75 1916 alum arrows. Went down the shaft a full 8 inches. now have a robin hood on the wall ...

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline MMilin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
You guys who shoot 2-3" groups at twenty yards are the best in the world!  Congratulations!

The 5-ring on a "blue-face" target is 3 and 1/8 inches in diameter.  An NFAA indoor round is shot at 20 yards, using a blue-face. With all 60 of your shots in the 5-ring, you're shooting a perfect 300! You will win every tournament in the world by a significant margin.

Of course, if your group isn't in the 5-ring, a group isn't of much value, is it?

Mark

Offline D. Devall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
dude i do good to get all 3 arrows in the target. i thought that a summer of bowfishing would keep me sharp. WRONG. i got some arrows done and went and shot today and man it was bad.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©