Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: please explain gap shooting and point of aim to me  (Read 662 times)

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
please explain gap shooting and point of aim to me
« on: July 25, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
I do not fully understand these concepts even thru videos.  I aim the arrow left to right when I draw and anchor.  The elevation seems to be taken care of by memory.  I noticed the arrow is always in my sight picture and pointed out towards the target or game, but never a dominant aiming reference.  Is gapping and point of aim the same or is it a more pronounced effort at using the arrow or point as a sight?  What would one call my way of shooting a bow and arrow then?

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: please explain gap shooting and point of aim to me
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
They're essentially the same thing, except that point of aim is the distance at which you put the point right on the target. For me it's around 50 yards. For a 3-under shooter, it's much closer. Either way, you're consciously aiming with the point of the arrow.

You (and I) shoot "instinctively", which is just a convenient name for learning through repetition.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Respectfully Don, I believe that you're confusing point of aim with point on distance.  Three arrows,  Gaping is just setting the point at an estimated "gap" below the target (or above if shooting farther than your point on distance.)

Point of aim literally places a mark on the ground in front of the target and then placing the arrow head on that point at full draw.  With this method you acually don't even look at the target, just place the point of the arrow on the marker and shoot.  Obviously, placing the marker is critical to hitting the target.

This is much easier for me to demonstrate than to explain verbally.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Well... I must shoot instinctivelike since I do not use the point to aim or gap.  I just anchor and align the arrow to the target left to right and shoot.  I noticed that I do not have to judge my distance out to around 30 yards or so since that is my practice range.  MOEBOW, any man that has 3 JD Berry's and 3 H Hill bows deserves my respect!  My 2 favorite bows to have.  Only DQ's Bamboo Longhunter was #1 in my book.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
Thank you for the explanations guys!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
3A  Yes it does sound like you're pedominatly "instinctive."
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Floxter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Moebow, it's refreshing to find someone that truly understands the concept of "point of aim" as distinguished from gapping, stacking, and point-on. Russ Hoogerhyde and Ann Hoyt would be proud of you.
Jack

Offline D. Devall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
i shoot instinctive. like to keep it simple.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Floxter, HIGH praise indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am an archer.  Not a great shot, just love the sport as I think it is meant to be loved.  That includes knowing something about it.  To be mentioned in the same breath with Russ and Ann is .... well.....Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Right, moebow.

"Point of aim" is also called point blank, for the "blank" (white) cloth that was put down for the target. Point blank distance is the distance at which you put the point on the target to hit it.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©