Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Eye dominance  (Read 579 times)

Offline JPS

• Trad Bowhunter
Eye dominance
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed many times in detail so I apologize in advance.
Im a right handed shooter but left eye dominant. When I hold the bow out in front of me my vision blurs and I see two arrows side by side. The one on the left is the one that is actually pointed at the target. It's actually kind of a transparent image of the arrow so I can see the target right through it if that makes any sense. Anyways I get back about 3/4 draw and I loose track of that focus and look strictly at the target before release. Does it sound strange to you that I see 2 arrows? If I use the one on the right "which is a more solid image" the shot will go left. But the arrow on the left which is more transparent the arrow goes straight. I've recently tested and discovered I am left eye dominant but for years I had trouble shooting until I started blurring the arrow into 2 arrows. My shooting got way better but I'm still a ways off from where I'd like to be. Any advise? Does anyone else use this double vision?

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eye dominance
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
Your eye dominance shouldn't matter.  As long as you get the arrow under one eye and use a consistent anchor and form you will hit where you want.  I don't have a dominant eye at all and those ghost arrows gave me fits until I read Jay Kidwell's book "Instinctive Archery Insights".  Might give it a look.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline JPS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Thanks I might just have to give it a read. Ghost arrows eh? Thats a good name for them. They give me fits for sure. Glad someone knows what I'm talking about.

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I'm left eye dominant and switched to LH bows and shotguns about 10 years ago, it was the thing to do for me.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Slufoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
When I was a kid my grandpa made me a sling-shot and he showed me how to shoot it. My grandpa was left-handed and I was just a kid that didn't know any better, so I shot it just like he did.
I'm right handed and right eye dominant and I shot bows left-handed for 33 years, I know exactly what the ghost arrows are.

After deer season last year I started shooting right handed bows. It was very awkward for a few weeks but as I became more comfortable with it I started improving.
I've been shooting right handed now for about 8 or 9 months and I'm shooting the best I have ever shot in my life. When I draw my bow now there is only one arrow and it's clear as a bell and it goes were I point it, as long as I do my part.

GOOD SHOOTING!

Slufoot

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©