Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Maybe you guys can help me  (Read 686 times)

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Maybe you guys can help me
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Hello Guys, So of you my think that I am ok shot since from the video's I made.. Which I am sure a few of you have seen.. any ways I got thinking i would like to slow down when I am shooitng.. See the thing is that I think I shoot way to fast.. But the thing is I can shoot fast and put all the arrows rigth where i am looking.. But when I try to take my time and slow down get to ful draw and aim I can't hit where I am looking.. I just can't I am off the the left or the rigth.. But when I shoot fast like I have all ways done I hit home 95% of the time.. Also I shoot about a 70 bow ( as seen in this video)
Can I bring a 70 pound bow to full draw and hold yes but like I say I can't hit where I am looking as the same gose for a 30-50 pound bow.. I just can't seam to do.. So maybe one of you guys can help me..

Thanks's

Cody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0RsiU1rmME&feature=channel_page
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Maybe you guys can help me
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Cody, I'd like to see your shooting in a slow motion mode to see where the shot goes off.  I personally shoot with a more deliberate style of a slower measured pace of shooting from placing the arrow on the string to the draw, anchor, apply back tension and release.

I've had the unusual circumstance of tearing a left elbow tendon and surgery in May so I'm shooting a 30# bow while I recover.  I've discovered my form has improved greatly and I've become even more deliberate and a better shot.  I'm hoping this all transfers to my hunting bows when I get stronger.

Try a light bow and light arrows and just slow things down a tad.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Cody, By "hitting home 95% of the time" what exactly do you mean?

From the sounds of the video, it sounds like you were only shooting maybe 10yds. With the form you have, you can get away with it. But I'd bet a 30yds, your 95% is greatly diminished.

Not sure I'm qualified to answer, but I'll try to help....

Doing things fast in itself isn't necessarily all that bad as long as you are doing things right during the time it takes for you to shoot.

Here's my take(and it's hard to tell from the "you tube" video because you can't start/stop it as well as photobucket)....

Your head is all over the place, you're short drawing with a very inconsistent looking anchor(maybe even non-existent), and your follow thru is very herky-jerky(for lack of a better term).

I know you said that you're shooting a 70# bow, but it loox like you're not pulling any where near that with you draw length(unless the bow is rated 70#@ 24-25"). Loox like you're letting go 3" or so in front of your face

It looks to me like you really do need to spend some time working on your form, slowing things down, getting all the steps right, and smoothing it out.

Heck I shoot pretty fast. But I'm very deliberate until I get to anchor. When I dig my finger into the corner of my mouth, it's gone as I follow thru the shot. It may look to some like I don't even anchor, but I assure you I do.

My opinion is that you need to slow down, keep your head and body still, hit your anchor, and follow thru, with your body and head still and your hand pulling straight back thru your shot.

Like was said above, try this with a light bow
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
Cody,
Your video on PowWow on your '59 bow shows more inconsistencies in tempo, speed, etc.  First shot you anchor deliberately and then you get faster and faster and then anchor deliberately again.  I agree, slow down, use a light bow and work on tempo, form, mechanics.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
What Guru says..
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
What Champ38 and reddogge said.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
Cody, not saw your videos, Dial-up In the lost forty, so takes 3 weeks to download 3 minutes. Anyway, The shootin style the othe gentleman talk about tells me alot. When I was your age, I try Hills style of shootin, Before that I was a deliberategap/instictive shooter. And was pretty good.My mental/ muscle memory took over. I could no longer hold at full draw on target! There is a difference, shootin and justs pulling back and holding.
 I don't want to see you struggle thru years of shooting, like myself. It's taken along time to get it under control! I wouldn't wish target panic on my worse enemy, well maybe talibans!

Take the advice of the others, slow down, Blind bale shootin helped me alot. Work on your Mechanics! Just as in any sport or anything for that matter, a Good Foundation, Fundamentals goes along way. No matter how bad I shot I was determined to get back what I lost, I LOVE shootin a bow! Good shootin, Steve

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Cody, one thing that helped my shooting dramatically was a double anchor. Do a search on "double anchor" and you'll get tons of info...this made a huge difference in my accuracy. A double anchor will bring your elbow into alignment and slow down the whole shot process...for me alignment has been key to a good release and follow thru....anyway just wanted to throw that out there. Good luck and have fun with it . Shane
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Cody, have you shot at targets and objects 15 yards and further?  A fast draw and release like yours works on targets from around 12 yards and closer from my personal experience.  I started shooting 25 years ago like you do now.  I was dead on with a fast draw and release, but only up to 10 yards.  After that, I could not focus enough to make quick shots.  It took me about a year of diligent work to be able to draw and anchor.  I use a double anchor and hold at draw for a second or two.  Sometimes I get the urge to release quickly and have to catch myself.  You must be asking about full anchor and draw for a reason...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©