Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Sore shootin' finger  (Read 949 times)

Offline GG

• Trad Bowhunter
Sore shootin' finger
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
I've been shootin' 4 or 5 days a week (about 30-40 arrows per session) for the last 3-4 weeks. I shoot split finger with a Kantpinch calf hair tab. I have developed a nice callus on my ring finger that is very sore and beginning to affect my accuracy. I have never had this problem before. My other 2 fingers don't even have a callus. Any suggestions?

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sore shootin' finger
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
My grandson gets that way when he shoots with a high elbow. When he keeps his elbow down in proper alignment he don't have that problem.
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline Saltydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Interesting, lately my middle finger is getting numb. I shoot 3 under. I've been shooting probably 150 arrows a week for about 3 years and this just started about a month ago. I know I should probably stop for a while, but I can't stop shooting.

HELP!!
I've learned that walk in the woods with my father as a child did wonders for me as an adult.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
I developed a callus, that was very sore, near the tip of my ring finger after I trimmed down one of my cordovan tabs to "fit". I don't use that tab any more.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline trepil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »
The callus can be sore at the beginning and will also grow and be thick. When it becomes to thick it feels unpleasent. I use a smooth file and rubb it down now and then and do not have any problems with it, its more like a protection for the nerves.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Sounds like you're shooting a relatively short bow. If so, a longer one will reduce the finger pinch that causes the callus.

Good excuse for a new bow!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline GG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
I will try holding my elbow lower first, though I like Don's thinking better  :D

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
I have a straight elbow and still get a lot of the finger pain described on my middle finger. I just have long thin fingers and they aren't built up yet.

However, I shot a Kant pinch as well and noticed a big difference when I switched over to a glove. Much more pleasant.

On the other hand, I may be looking for a thicker glove.

What is the thickest tab, and thickest glove you can buy for people like me?
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
LimbLover, I just ordered a new glove from 3 Rivers- they have some good-looking stuff there to choose from. I like the full-palm style, with doubled tip overlays. They have several types.

My last one lasted about 15 years, but it's over!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by LimbLover:
I have a straight elbow and still get a lot of the finger pain described on my middle finger. I just have long thin fingers and they aren't built up yet.

However, I shot a Kant pinch as well and noticed a big difference when I switched over to a glove. Much more pleasant.

On the other hand, I may be looking for a thicker glove.

What is the thickest tab, and thickest glove you can buy for people like me?
I don't know about the glove, but the BW super leather is the only tab I have found that really protects my fingers.  I would like a finger spacer to help with pressure on the bottom of my index finger more with my shorter bows, but the tab does a nice job on general finger protection, and I shoot a lot straighter than with other heavier leather tabs I have tried.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
I like a full palmed glove as well and currently shoot the Demascus.

I really don't want to go back to a tab. They just didn't suit me.

I'm debating on the Dura-Glove from 3rivers, is this the one you are talking about Don?
Nick Viau
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Yep, that's the one I bought. It came yesterday, but I've had to work today, so I haven't tried it out yet. It's almost identical in construction to the one I've been using for years, but my old one had long since lost any identifying marks on it, so I don't know if it's the same manufacturer or not. The only real difference I can see is that the old one had leather overlays on the tips, and this one has Cordura. I thought that might hold up better to my sweating when I'm out judoing in the summer heat. Like I plan to do tomorrow!

Offline trepil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 06:21:00 AM »
I use as thin glove as possibal to ha as much feel with the bowstring as possibal. I shoot 3 finger under and as I said over I build up callus on the lower finger, but I just rubb it down when it gets to thick.
My experince with thick gloves and gloves with overlays are that they give a poor anchoring.
I use the cheapest "bearpaw" glove its very thin and I wear out 3-4 pair a year, but they help me hit the "bulls eye" very often:)

Offline besmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I have always shot split finger and for most of my life I've had a very caloused and sometimes sore ring finger.  An old timer I shoot with told me to concentrated on putting most of the pressure during the draw on my middle finger.  My sore calous has gone away and my release has improved.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
What Besmo said, no more problems with my ring finger...Also be carful  that your fingers dont roll open as you draw.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline mczilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
I used to use a calf-hair tab and had the same problem. Switched to a SAM tab (Martin Super Archery Mitt) about a year and a half ago, and all finger irritation is just gone, no matter how much I shoot.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
I've used the Duraglove, and it works better than any other I've tried. I pretty much exclusively use a tab now though. I have a Screaming Eagle cordovan tab. I get the best release with it, but I do develop a callous on the bottom edge of my ring finger. I'm back to shooting split. I've tried three under and can shoot pretty well that way, but feel like I have more control shooting split, and my bow is MUCH quieter. I think I shoot better instinctively split finger. If I gap shoot, three under works better because the point on distance is closer.

I guess I sort of shoot a modified gap method. Shooting 20 yards and under, it's pretty much instinctive. Over 20 I have to gap shoot. Don't know if that makes sense or not, but it works for me.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
I just bought a Super Glove a few weeks ago and it is the best glove I've owned to date. I have virtually no finger pain anymore and it is breaking in nicely.

The ONLY drawback is that the tips are pretty stiff and they dig into my face a little bit. The more I break it in the better it should be.
Nick Viau
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline vikingbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Sooting 3 fingers ,under I use a damascus glove with a tab on top of it. I shoot all day with no finger problems.
Sounds weird but give it a try.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Check out the thread in this forum about shooting a tab, I think that you will find your answer to your sore ring finger.
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©