Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Help...my lips are in peril.  (Read 919 times)

Online AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Help...my lips are in peril.
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Ouch!  I'm shooting 3-under and about 50-60% of the time I am hitting my lips, usually my lower with the tab or glove.  Now I shoot significantly better and more consistent with 3-under but after some fairly rough (bloody)outings I fear I am developing a flinch.  My tab is trimmed back to little more than a nub and while a Dura-glove is better it is still happening far to often.  Do any of you 3-under guys have a guess as to why I am hitting my mouth and what might help me move beyond this?  Thanks.

Alan
"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help...my lips are in peril.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
I shoot split finger but was also hitting my lip. What I learned is that I was not coming to full draw and my hand was hitting at release. Once I focused on getting my draw all the way back I stopped hitting myself

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Are you sure it's the glove/tab not the string whacking your lip?  Where do you anchor?  Unless you're releasing way in front of your face, hard to imagine the tab doing the damage.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Darrell gave some good advice. The other thing that could be happening is that your hand is away from your face. concentrate on a good solid close anchor and it should be great ly reduced.

It could also be your string that is hitting your lips. If your head is turned into the string it is very likely the string.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
You gotta stop all that whistling.    "[dntthnk]"
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline jsparky93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Have you tried a different tab? I have the same problem when I use a Black Widow/wilson tab any other tab works fine but the BW tab smack's the crap outta me!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Sounds like you are either not getting it all the way back or you are creeping forward just at release.  If you are anchored at corner of mouth and use back tension on release your hand should not be going forward.
ChuckC

Online AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
I am anchored at the corner of my mouth with my middle finger, and my index finger is on my cheekbone.  I'm getting hit with two different tabs and two different gloves.  Hadn't really thought of the string hitting me, but from the way I anchor and if I'm turning my face into the bow I can certainly see where that might do it.  Will test some of these out and see if I come home with my skin on my lips...

Juan, if this keeps up I will not be able to whistle!

Thanks guys,
Alan
"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
Just before drawing the bow, turn your head to your left (for right-hander) untill you feel slight tension in your neck muscles and hold through the shot. Worked for me.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
I was hitting my lip when I shot a recurve that was way to heavy for me.  I did just what lechwe said when the back of my hand touched my face I let go and the follow through had me slapping my self in the face.  Ther was no doubt what was doing it.  I can't see how you don't know if it is the string or your hand.  If you can't figure it out set up a camcorder and that should tell you what is doing the damage, it also may give you clues to anything else you need to work on.  good luck

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
I did the exact same thing a few years ago! I wasnt coming to full draw, I was letting go as soon as my finger hit my mouth. I had alot of bloody lips during that time! I have also turned my face to far in and done it that way to!! The sad thing is when I get to thinking to much about what I'm doing I get dangerous!! HA! HA! Jason

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
I used to do the same thing with split finger.  Only I was smacking my nose as well.  I knew I was coming to a solid anchor and couldn't figure it out.  What I found was that it was the string.  What I started doing was closing my left eye to force myself to turn my head and into the target.  this helped aleviate the problem for me.  I don't close my eye anymore as I've developed the habit of turning my head.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
A bloody lip was happening to a student at a Rod Jenkins seminar, and it was determined to be the string.

After keeping his head erect and not leaning into the shot AND head turned to the target instead of to the side, the lip smacking got better.  Good luck...

BTW, Rod visits this site and would gladly offer up advice worthy of your time.  He's one of the good'uns.  :thumbsup:
Lon Scott

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Now this is just my 2 cents I was hitting my lip at first I could not figure it out than I started trying to hold my lips in tight to my mouth and it worked I think I was cheating and push my lips out so I did not have to draw my bow to my anchor point. Blake
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
That is just to funny man.

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
If you can get someone to video you, play it back in slowmotion.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
That happens when I release before coming to full draw.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
I shaved a little skin off the front of my nose with a string nock that needed re-tied.  Of course it might've also helped if my Dad hadn't passed on his giant snood!    :)
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
Same here, when I first started shooting, wasnt coming to full draw...I could have sworn I was anchoring in the corner of my mouth, video prooved I was relaxing at the shot.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
If you're hitting the lips, it's simple because they're in the way. Which means you're either wanting to kiss the string, or you're just - as I mentioned - anchoring with your lips in the danger zone.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©