Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: from recurve to longbow?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
from recurve to longbow?
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Is it a "hard" transition? Is there a big difference to shooting one vs. the other?
What are your experiences, or thoughts?
Thanks much.
Steve.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: from recurve to longbow?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
its not a hard transition, but it is a transition. i  started with recurves, but once i shot my first longbow i new i had to have one. i think the longbow just has a better fit and feel for me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 04:51:00 AM »
The transition is easy if you have the recurve style handles on a longbow.  The hand and wrist positioning is different.  I prefer using recurves over longbow because of consistency and accuracy issues.  I am more accurate and consistent with a recurve.

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
I shoot both longbow and recurve. I started with the recurve but now I enjoy the longbow much more. But other then the grips and the way I hold them. I can't tell much diffrence. Can't say that I can shoot one better than the other, I just like the way the longbow feels over the recurve.
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I currently shoot a recurve and tried my Grandpa's longbow. I didn't like it but that's partially due to having to shoot off the thumb.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
I shoot and like both. Im accurate with both but if I really had to choose I think im a little better with my recurve. The diffirence I notice is noise speed and over all feel.

My longbow is more silent slow and has a some hand shock. My TD recurve is louder but faster and smoother so that could be why I shoot it better.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline pktm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Really depends on what recurve and what longbow. I jump between a Toelke Chinook recurve and a Black Swan t/d Hybrid lonbow. Both have small low grips, so I'm in tune with both of them. If I try to do that with Hill longbow and my Border Black Douglas recurve, not such an easy task.
Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Not Ted,  What do you mean "shoot off the thumb"?????  Do you mean base of the thumb on the grip or arrow on the thumb?
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
I was wondering that myself

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
I don't have a problem going back and forth, as long as the longbow does not have a low wrist grip.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
Not Ted,  What do you mean "shoot off the thumb"?????  Do you mean base of the thumb on the grip or arrow on the thumb?
I think it's called Mongolian style. I have the arrow on the right of the bow (I'm right handed) and rest the arrow on my thumb. It's very awkward. If I'm doing something wrong let me know.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
NT,  If you're shooting fingers and right handed, the string fingers release the string to the left.  The arrow should also be on the left -- the left hand knuckles.  Mongolian style is using a thumb ring and that releases the string to the right -- Then you would rest the arrow on the thumb or right side of the bow.  If for some reason you need to shoot off the right side of the bow, you will really need what we call a left handed bow to get the arrow rest on that side.  

Sorry Ybuck didn't mean to steal your thread.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Okay, I've never shot without a rest before so it's a whole new experience. Thanks!

Sorry for hijacking.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by I'm Not Ted:
Okay, I've never shot without a rest before so it's a whole new experience. Thanks!

Sorry for hijacking.
its all good  :campfire:
Steve.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Well if the grips are very close it doesn't matter at all for me.  Many of the TD's, hybrids and forward handle LB's I can shoot fine.  If the grip is straight or even a locator it depends on the day.  Today well........  :banghead:  I have a nice used LB I can sell you.  I can't wait for my curve to get back.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I find that my recurves shoot best with a loose grip and my longbow and selfbow do better with a firm grip.  Other than that, not much problem to change.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
If you have shot a recurve for a long time then it might take a little time to get use to a LB. I gave myself a week of shooting only the LB, if I didnt like it after a week I was going back to the curve. Love my longbows...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline d from phx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
I shoot both recurve and longbow. I am a shooters rep for white wolf bows and do not find it difficult to switch back and forth . They do shoot differently but with practice it should'nt be too much trouble. I am a target shooter and shoot both in competition. I will admit I'm partial to recurves because they are a bit more forgiving.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©