Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: wood spine effect relating to head weight-?  (Read 579 times)

Offline PONG

• Trad Bowhunter
wood spine effect relating to head weight-?
« on: August 23, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
I know all about every answer pertaining to all materials....except for wood.
I haven't shot wood in over 30 years (easy) and so here I am asking for insight.

While spine may be a measurement that seemingly is indifferent to material used...I would like to know what the hands on crowd has experienced.

The scenario is that I have shafts at 28" which I am not cutting.
What I want to know is this....
Has anyone had success tuning their shafts by adjusting head weight as opposed to moving up/down on the spine, when the tune is close but not perfect?.

I ask because I am right in this situation of where I can tune the arrow by adjusting the window pad thickness by as little as 1/32".
I can... but I am right on the razors edge of needing more to assist me on less than perfect releases.
Rather than bumping the pad thickness a touch more, I would rather gain spine without changing arrows.

Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated   :)

**I rarely ever convey my thoughts properly the first time, so if you need me to be more to the point...just say so   :D

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood spine effect relating to head weight-?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Agree with your very last statement. What I think you're asking though is yes you can change effective spine by changing point weight.  Rule of thumb is spine DECREASES for every 30-40 grain point weight INCREASE and (spine) INCREASES with a 30 to 40 grain DECREASE in weight of point.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Should have said that the spine increases or decreases by 5 pounds for those grain changes.  I'm probably living up to your last statement too.  :>))
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline PONG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
You do get me!  :)

SO....what I am asking is if you have seen a more or lesser extent with wood as opposed to man made substances such as carbon/aluminum and such.
OR...
If it is all being effected to the same extent based on the spine rating alone.

If there is no hidden variable based on material then thats great...I'll be able to follow along as I have always done  :)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
I have found changing the tip/head weight has less effect on carbons then it does on wood.  Also, the type of wood used for the arrow may affect one wood species differently then another.  When using cedar arrows I find a change of about 5 pounds for every change in 25 grains of tip weight, when using fir hex shafts I get five pounds of change for every 30-35 grains of change.  I haven’t used aluminum enough to make a good comparison.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline PONG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
I have found changing the tip/head weight has less effect on carbons then it does on wood.  Also, the type of wood used for the arrow may affect one wood species differently then another.  When using cedar arrows I find a change of about 5 pounds for every change in 25 grains of tip weight, when using fir hex shafts I get five pounds of change for every 30-35 grains of change.  I haven’t used aluminum enough to make a good comparison.
You have the answers that I was looking for  :)

Thank you   :clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©