Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 3 Under Nock Fit  (Read 672 times)

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Under Nock Fit
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
I've been playing with 3 under a bit and find I make far fewer windage errors, so I'm going to give it a serious try. Since, up to this point I've only been shooting split finger my nock to serving fit is fairly loose. But I think that loose fit is a dry fire waiting to happen. How tight should I make the nock/serving fit? Should it be so tight as to "click" on the string? Or just slightly loose? Also should I use two nock points, one above and below.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline joeo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Under Nock Fit
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
iv`e tried the 3 under and it just doesn`t feel natural

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
I like the nock to have just a slight grip on the string.  Enough grip that it'll stay on but will come off the string when I thump it.  It takes some playing around with different size servings until you find one that works.  I do use two nock points.  The top one is a crimp on and the bottom is a small tie on.  A lot of folks don't though.  It depends a lot on how well the nock holds onto the string.  If it's too loose, the arrow will slide down the string some upon release, causing arrow flight problems.

Joeo.....change never does, at first.  After 11 years of shooting 3 under, shooting split doesn't feel natural to me.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
I like 2 tie on nockpoints with with about a 1/16" extra besides the nock in between. Then I build up with dental floss till the nocks fits the way I want it, once every thing is shot in I put a touch of superglue on it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
I like the arrow nocks tight enough to have a snap when I put them on the string, maybe a little tighter than when I shot split fingers.  The second string nock also helps.  I also use a tied-on nock for the string nock under the arrow, and the two nocks are close enough together that there is very little up-and-down play in the arrow when it's nocked.  The string nocks come together and grip the arrow at full draw, which I think would help prevent the arrow from falling off the string.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Steve
I've shot 3 under for a couple years.Like you I have always been concerned between too tight a nock fit and a dry fire caused by too loose a fit.

The Accunock sold at 3Rivers is the answer.They hold tighter than a regular nock but on release the ears recess and give a completely clean release.

I shot them all summer at 3D and they worked perfectly on every shot.

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great info and tips. I think I have enough now to start playing around with it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©