Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Tuning Heavy Spined Arrows  (Read 555 times)

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning Heavy Spined Arrows
« on: September 10, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
I recently ordered some arrows from Kustom King (Gold Tip 5575's). I was forced to order a spine size heavier, because I needed 31" arrows to safely shoot from my bow. The bow is actually a 47 lb. draw. Generally, I shoot 125 gr points, but it seems like I would be over-spined with this setup. What is the best choice for a point weight? 145? 170? I think that the upside to this is that my FOC will be a little further forward, so penetration will be better.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning Heavy Spined Arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
47# at 28"?  What is your draw length?  What is the center cut of your bow and string?  LB or curve?  There are many factors.  175 or more is likely.  Brass inserts of 50 and 100 gr. work great in them and help you get point weight up without shooting really heavy points unless you want to do that.  You can really get your FOC up with the brass inserts.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Draw length is at least 30"...no idea on the center cut, and a reflex/deflex longbow.

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
I shoot a R/D longbow that is marked 48# at 28, it's cut to center and I have a 30 inch draw. I'm shooting G/T 55/75s that are cut to 32 inches. I can shoot a 125 or 150grain point and they both fly good. Hope this helps.

Travis

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Divinecedar:
Draw length is at least 30"...no idea on the center cut, and a reflex/deflex longbow.
Look at the belly of the bow with the sting straight down the middle of the limbs and see where the face of the riser is in relation to the center of the bow/string.  If it is about center, a little past or a little out you will be fine.  Get some different points and start shooting to see what you have.  If your bow is 47@28 you are probably pulling at least 54-55# and with that long of an arrow you are not too stiff on that shaft.   Start bare shafting with different point weights to find a base line tuned arrow.  I would use full length with a 30” draw, and tune it.  Then you can work it down if you want.  Standard, 50 and 100 gr. brass inserts will give you a lot of point weight options.  I like the point weight packs from 3Rivers.  I think you get 100, 125, 145, 175, 200, and 225 points.  With the inserts you can go from about 122 to 325 gr. and a lot of variations in between.  After playing with tuning carbons on about 6 different bows this year, I would start right off with a pack of standard aluminum, 50 gr. brass inserts, 100 gr. brass inserts, and two or three assortment packs of points.  I ended up with that eventually.   Now I have what I need to do a lot of combinations of point weights when tuning.  I tune up an arrow at a given length.  Then I start working the length down a little to fine tune to what I want up front.  I check with the point weights as I work down.  You can also cut to length if you don’t care what you have up front, but you can miss a sweet spot a little without the length factor to use in tuning.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »
I ran into the same predicament when I switched from GT's to heavy spined woodies. My recommendation is load the front end as heavy as possible to start with.
With the 55/75's I used 100 gr brass inserts and with the 75-85 woodies I started with 100 gr Woody Weights up front.
And then I added 190 to 250 gr broadheads.
A lot of arrow weight but They fly accurate and superb penetration.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
I am thinking that I am going to try some 200 gr. field points and some 200 gr. Muzzy Phantoms and see how things work. I'd like to try some of those 200 gr. Samurai broadheads, but can't really justify spending $79.99 on broadhead that will just be used for whitetails and pigs...

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
53@30 LB, 30.5" 55/75 gold tips, 100gr brass insert, 5.8gr lock washer and 190gr Tusker broadheads, total arrow weight 600gr and they fly great out to 30yds...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©