Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Split finger vs. 3-below the Nock  (Read 982 times)

Offline Gdance

• Trad Bowhunter
Split finger vs. 3-below the Nock
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
I just recently  started shooting recurves again, and I was hoping for some insight on split finger vs. 3-below.

I have always shot split finger and just tried 3-below the nock.  What a difference in my groups!  I like the sight picture a lot better and my groups tightened up dramatically.  

Can someone give me some insight on this topic?  Is it just a preference or is there something else I should know?

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split finger vs. 3-below the Nock
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under for the same reason. Works for me too.  :archer:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
I have recently been trying it, and I find the same thing.  Plus it is easier on my index finger with short bows. Also I get my draw elbow down in line better.  The only problem is my bow is not as quiet.  My next bow will be tillered 3 under.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
I made the switch also and my groups have never been tighter.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Gdance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
xtrema......what's tillered 3-under?

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
Well I don't know a whole lot about bow making, but tillering has to do with the timing of the limbs.  When you grab the bow sting lower it causes a change in the bend between the two limbs and changes the timing some.  You get more noise and vibration in the limbs.  I hear some bows shoot fine either way.  My bows have a noticeable difference in sound, and a little in vibration.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline Gdance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
Thanks, makes sense and I did notice a difference in noise.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I prefer to shoot split finger,just always have.Just feels more natural to me and feels more traditional.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
The tiller wont really matter much. I've been shooting three under for about 17 yrs now with about two dozen bows. The five I have and shoot now,none are tillered for three under. Had two bows tillered three under,a Palmer and a Wes Wallace, didnt notice any difference. All nock points about the same on the string and all were a little quieter split finger. I really think that actual DB for both ways are close to the same but three under is a little higher/sharper.  Usually with a tuned bow you barely hear either one 15 ft away.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Lindsay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
Yep three under for me, have'nt had a problem with tiller so far.

Lindsay

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
I shot split for a long, long time. I switched to 3 under this past spring and will never go back to split. If I try it feels so awkward, like I have two left hands or something. My shooting has improved greatly.
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
I Probably will Never Shoot Split Finger again, and for ALL of the Same Reasons Listed above!! Been Shooting 3-Under for so long now, Split just doesnt "Feel" Right.  :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
There's nothing "non-traditional" about shooting three under. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Apache native American people shoot this style? Some people like to debate on just how "traditional" some things are. You can't tell me that split finger is any more trad than 3-under is. That's like saying that cedar arrows aren't as trad as river cane arrows are. Or that aluminum arrows can't be considered trad 'cause they're not made of wood. It's just a matter of how far back you wanna go in time to be trad or "primitive". Do you think stone age people and native Americans weren't always trying to improve upon the materials that they had available to them? If they happen to have come across a material that was better than the one they were using, do some people think that they wouldn't have used it? That is why some of them made bows with a back set in the limbs-to achieve more performance or to improve on something.

If you shoot better and it causes you to hit game in the vitals better by shooting three fingers under the arrow, then don't let anybody tell you that it's not as "traditional" as split finger is. There's nothing "non-traditional" about it.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
Not to debate it but years ago when I shot 3D's in IBO when you shot in the Traditional Longbow class shooting split finger was one of the rules.But those rules probably have changed these days.Shoot which ever way works for you,I just like shooting split finger.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
Yes, the rules have changed in the IBO. All that is required is that your index finger touches the nock of the arrow.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
If shooting 3 under with a tab, do you really need a "3 under" tab, or will the others work just as well?

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Boznarras I shoot my Saluki Ibex 3 under and shoot my Longbows Split finger (tourney rules for Longbow) I use the same Tab for both with no problems.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
I shoot a BW split finger calf hair super leater tab.  I like it just as well for 3 under and split.  It has guard flaps for split so no spacer to set my fingers appart for 3 under.  It looks like their 3 under tab is about the same only with a guard flap on top.  I don't get any finger irritation on my top finger shooting 3 under so I don't see the need for the top finger guard flap, but I sure do like the guards between my fingers for split shooting.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
I shoot a BW tab and use it to shoot 3 under but it's made for split finger. Works great. I also have the same tab in the 3 under version. It's great also, but I did have to trim it more and I cut off the guard flap so it feels just like my other BW tab.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline James Varner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
After reading this thread I decided to give 3 under a try. WOW what a difference suddenly my arrows are going where I want them. Can't say I see any reason to go back to split finger.
It's only funny till somebody gets hurt, then it's hilarious.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©