Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Can't cant ! any tips  (Read 1014 times)

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
Can't cant ! any tips
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
my canted shots usually are low. any pointers?

thanks guys
charlie

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can't cant ! any tips
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Not being smart but maybe aim higher.  When you are canting the bow you may be forcing your anchor point higher or short drawing the bow thus the low shot.  Try to cant the same on all shots if that is your style.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
make sure you cant your head the same angle as your bow.
bolong

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
You have to cant your head at the same angle as your bow. The other thing it might be is you arrow too far from your hand. Example elevated rest.

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
when you go to cant, open your hand and let the bow float. Cant the string hand letting the bow cant itself to the same degree. this keeps me from torqueing the string.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
Excellent Tip champ38!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
It's easy to shortdraw when canting...

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
The easiest way to learn to cant the bow, head and string hand is to bend at the hips.
Bend at the hips, not the head, neck, or upper body. Shooting up hill the shoulders are parallel with the hill, shooting downhill the shoulders are again parallel, maintaining a "T" with the spine and shoulders. When bending forward to cant the bow think of maintaining the "T" by bending at the hips.  You don't want to bend the spine like a "(" on one shot and not the next. Maintaining the "T".  Your anchor, and distance between your eye and your anchor will be more consistent. Raising or lowering your head (eye)is likely the cause of missing. Things become inconsistent when we start bending just the neck or upper body. It becomes even more important if you want to shoot at moving, running or flying targets. If you have shot a shotgun you learned to swing, or pivot with the hips and not the upper body.
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
The more you cant the bow the closer arrow needs to be to the target.  As Johnny Schulz said "Howard Hill varied the cant of his bow".

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Make sure you still have the form (not bending at the waist and tilting the head ) it may not seem obvious but I caught my 14yo doing it when he was starting out using the cant style.Good Luck
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Don't cant! There's absolutely nothing wrong at all with shooting with your bow vertical.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Thanks for saying it Rob!
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
What, if any, advantage is there to canting your bow?
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
I agree....you don't have to cant the bow.

However, the advantage for me is seeing a larger/wider view of the playing field.

If you do a search for the word 'cant' in the search feature of this site, and search just this forum, and select 'subject only'...you will find plenty of info on canting.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Depends on your personal geometry. I can't not cant! If I hold the bow vertically, my arm muscles complain and I can't hit diddly.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Try blank bale using the above advise till you get good form.Then you should see improvement.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
When you cant your bow you lower your point of aim,it doesn't matter how you aim,,or not,,it's still the same affect.
To see it happen just hold your bow out as you would at full draw,cant it and watch the arrow contact point.
As the bow goes over you will see the contact point becomes slightly lower.
You just have to compensate for that by practicing shooting with the bow canted.
But then,as already stated you don't have to cant your bow,but there are benifits so it does you no harm to learn.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
What level of Cant are we talking about? The more cant the bow the harder it is to repeat the form, you have to find the right balance between aiming and form.

I think its best to find what most natural and comfortable position to you. Start off at a short target with verical Bow and after each shot add a little cant and see what give the most consistent form and accurate shot.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Proper alignment(form) can be carried to various cants and positions.  Alignment and Form is from the waste up, and not hard to repeat once you achieve it, and easy to take to different positions that we get into in the field by using your waste and feet to acquire the position with the upper body still in line.

I go into detail on all this on the Trad Gang DVD.

Yes, you need to achieve it(form/alignment) 1st in a comfortable position/cant angle that suits you(your back yard shot).....even if that means no cant/held vertical

Click Here - Cant never could....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
The advantage of canting, is that for the geometry of most people it helps them shoot better--this is not true of all people and for you vertical may be the best way to go--although you can likely learn to shoot well w/ canted bow following the tips given here.  Personally I shoot best w/ the bow Horizontal, thats right, horizontal, as in, parallel to the ground. Go figure!  Whatever is most naturally comfortable for you - is the way to go.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©