Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: One eye closed or no?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
One eye closed or no?
« on: October 05, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
I've kinda been using both methods for a while now, but I was just outside shooting at a turkey 3d and was really grouping them in there shooting with both eyes open.  So, let's hear what you folks think.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One eye closed or no?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
It takes both eyes for me.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
I shoot with both eyes open,now I'll close my right eye if I'm shooting left handed just playing around,I'm RH.I feel you need to keep both eyes open when shooting instinctive.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Always both eyes open.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Two eyes or my depth perception and range estimation goes out the window shooting more instinctive or split vision.  You brain needs two reference points most times for proper calculations.  Maybe if I was a gap shooter estimating range before the shot I could do it.  I also shoot a shotgun, hand gun, and even scoped rifles two eyes open.  Closing on eye for me causes squinting of the open eye and a less then clear focus.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
Wow, so far it seems pretty unanimous.  Thanks for the opinions.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
both eyes open for me as well. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
I shot right handed but I am blind in the right eye. I have to concentrate on the target with the left eye.  If I see the arrow in any way with me left eye, I can not hit.
capt eddie

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 01:32:00 AM »
Always shot with both eyes open, tried closing one eye to help aiming on the long 70 & 80 yard shots and just felt strange, my better half has always shot with one eye closed and she's done very well (IFAA world\\European champ and world record holder).

I think it comes down to what your taught at the start, it's one of those form things that's very hard to change, both methods seem very effective.

Xtrema312 your right about both eyes and depth perception but people shooting with one eye closed dont walk around with one eye closed, they use the same depth perception.

Offline preflex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
both eyes open also allows you to see your surroundings and helps depth perseption and i dont see so well so i keep both eyes open (im nearsighted)
Damon Howatt mamba recurve 60# @28"
martin jaguar takedown 40# @28"
"water proof in is water proof out"

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
it does seem strage on using just one eye over keeping both open. Now I played yesterday with just having one eye open and for me it was strange but I seemed to get better groups. May this be due to I always shot with just one eye open when I used a peep with the compound bow...

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »
Both Eyeballs for Me too! Comes in handy shooting in Town!! The Peripheral (?) is Good for Keeping Track of the Local Tricycle Motors!!  :scared:    SAFETY  First!!   :readit:  
  Besides, if I Squint One Eye for too long, I end up with a  5 STAR  Headache  :eek:  ..... "Oh, I  HATE  When  THAT  Happens!!!"  :banghead:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
I am right eye dominate and shoot using only one eye when shooting left handed, I close the right eye.  When shooting shotguns, rifles and pistols (also left handed) I close the right eye.  When shooting a bow right handed both eyes are open, but close the left eye when shooting anything with sights.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
Both eyes shut (Trust in the force, man!)  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline PhilNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
As a kid I shot a lot of indoor target and was right handed and left eye domainant so I learned to close or half close the left eye. This was fixed 20 yards and mostly POA stuff. Now that I am trying to get back into it I have a hard time drifting right to left when I don't close the left eye a bit.

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
I used to shoot with one eye closed but am now leaving both eyes open.  It took awhile to get used to it but now it is really hard to shoot if I close one eye.  I also shoot better now than before because of it.

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I squint my left eye almost shut when I shoot,while my right eye is wide open.I shoot RH btw.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
I have a problem with a very bad congenital left eye so I find myself closing the left eye to shoot but once in a while I concentrate on keeping it open.  I shoot right handed.  I admit, it's not a great situation.  I think if I had been born with two good eyes I'd keep them both open.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline slade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 03:44:00 AM »
I am right handed, left eye dominant and shoot guns and bows with my left eye closed unless I want to shoot to the left of what I am aiming at.

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
Left eye dominant, right handed shooter. I shoot with both eyes open. but focus with the right eye. I do find myself squinting the left eye for 1/2 a second to allow my right eye to take over.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©