Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Picking a spot....good practice by accident.  (Read 644 times)

Offline hat creek

• Trad Bowhunter
Picking a spot....good practice by accident.
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
The other evening, with about 1/2 hour of light left, I was about to shoot a few arrows. I was all set up to shoot when my neighbor wandered over to borrow a hedge clipper. We talked, he borrowed and left and I realized I had lost enough light to see my target. I shoot a stuffed burlap bag with a very small piece of caution orange tape woven into the middle of the target. With the light the way it was I couldn't make out the bag, but I could make out that small orange tag. At twenty yards I shot six arrows and shot the smallest group I have ever shot, six arrows in about a two inch group. I tried again and shot the same sized group. I tried it again the next night with the same results. The intense concentration needed to see that one small dot of orange has carried over to my regular day light practice and my overall shooting has improved considerably. Try it, it's an interesting experience and proves once again....pick the hair not the deer.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Picking a spot....good practice by accident.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
yep
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
Try The idea from Denis Kemstra use a lazer pointer and shoot at the dot. The key is some how getting your mind to project the dot when it's not there. Then you have it made. I think if you use it enough you can do it.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 05:49:00 AM »
Yep, but putting artificial focus sources really don't help much when shooting as a critter.

You need to work on "picking a spot/focusing all your concentration" on you target, when there really isn't anything to focus on....

For instance, a deer in low light....everything looks the same right......how about a black bear, or black hog....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Last night, I was shooting at my black pig target when it was too dark to see where the arrows were impacting on the pig.  When I walked up to get the arrows, I was pleased to find that they had grouped right where I wanted them to, even though I couldn't see the arrows until I got right up close to the pig.  I think all different kinds of practice helps develop confidence that your basic good form will pull you through under less than ideal conditions.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
I'll not kid, picking a small spot on an animal or target at 20 yards is difficult.  It is much easier in good light but VERY difficult in low light.  The subtle wrinkles and creases disappear quickly.  But practice shooting in low light conditions does help and I'd say keep at it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline geales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
With the season and having 2 little ones I rarely get to shoot during daylight. I still shoot almost everynight with a little light from the yard light. This year I have been really practicing and put away the wheelie bow. I can honestly say. I can shoot better with my recurve under poor light conditions than I ever could with my compound. I have a blank target face that has flecks of mud on it I use for aiming points. It really makes me pick a spot. Now if I can just get the deer to cooperate.
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Hat creek makes a good point (low light practice) and so does Guru (avoid artificial spots), but one more thing to add to the hunting practice scheme...your stance.  Most of us probably practice comfortably, standing up and well-balanced.  But unfortunately hunting shots aren't always that accomodating (at least mine aren't).  Practicing on one knee, both knees, sitting, from heights, etc. AND in dim light helps mimic actual shooting conditions.  And oh yeah, if you use popup blinds, say for nice big Tom turkeys, and tend to overshoot the bird on a chip-shot at say 14 yards, then don't forget THAT sort of practice, too.  Grrrrrr!

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
I know if you pick a spot, then lose your concentration, look at the horns at the very last second,  you can shoot right over the back of an elk at 25 yards.

Offline Wldhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
Low Light shooting does help you improve your concentration. Another method is to place a few obstacles around your target. Shooting into small cardboard boxes is another way that you can improve you concentration. Enough said

Offline zetabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
I did similar thing the other night while shooting Field round, on Hunter face 45 yards it was so dark I could only just make out the white spot, couldn’t really see the arrow as reference for Split Vision or see it in flight or where it was hitting on the target, on walking up to the target all 4 arrows were in the 4 scoring zone (done this several times so it’s no fluke). Something I’ve always done is I visualize the arrow flight like Byron suggests in his book I find this visualization technique very accurate and a powerful mental tool specially in difficult shooting situations like low light, I think ignored by some Archers in favor of ‘just burning a hole’ for me I feel it causes problems because too much focus is put into burning a hole and my shooting form is neglected.

I tend to focus on good shoot execution rather than aiming because I really trust my ability to let the aiming take care of itself and with the lack of visual input the other night it confirmed this shooting strategy is working well for me.

Just shows more than one way to skin a cat, do what works for you and shoot straight ;-)

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Another good way is to draw your bow and close your eyes and release. You will need to start out close, 5 yards or so and large backstop and a safe place. If you do this several times a day, your be surprised how much your groups will improve!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©