Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: tuning out a BUZZ!  (Read 805 times)

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
tuning out a BUZZ!
« on: October 21, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
ok i have a new chekmate. its 56" long and 47# at my clicker( 25" ), and its braced at 8". i have a 10strand d97 on it with beaver balls, one brass nock and dental floss for the bottom nock point. so my problem-no matter if i have the efa quiver on or off, the bow has a buzzing sound. i can pluck the string and here it. if i hold the limb and pluck the string its deadened. do you think limbsavers would solve the problem?? the bow bareshaft paper tunes perfect. and my arrows weigh 500grs.? any solution

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tuning out a BUZZ!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
There's a guy at my archery club with a short draw like yours and his bow buzzes like hell.  A few of the guys were doing all sorts to stop it but nothing worked.  So not sure if it's a condition caused by short draws on certain bows or if there's some other reason.  On his behalf i would certainly be interested if there is another reason.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline Matt D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
I had a Hunter II that did exactly the same thing. A set of limbsavers helped greatly.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
i just went and got a set. when i get home from work im gonna get some double sided tape and leave the backing on the limbsavers until i find the sweet spot. matt- where did yours work best on the limb?

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
also i must say that this is the only bow i have that does this. my hoyt gamemaster is no more than subtle thud sound! and my bear montana...well...sometimes i cant even tell ive shot till it hits the target:)

Offline Matt D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
Place the limbsavers at the ends of the fadeouts. David Soza (DAS bows) did  testing and found this to be the best spot while not hindering performance.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
well tried them at the fades..didnt help at all. so with what adhesive was left i stuck them mid limb....it helped but still buzzing. so i put velcro under the string at the tips...that helped a lil but still buzzing!! this is driving me crazy. this buzzing will certainly make a deer drop.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I've got a Morrison ILF riser.  When I put a particular set of limbs on it, the darn thing had a terrible buzz.  Mr. Morrison told me that the limbs caused the buzz, and suggested that I raise my brace height until it left.  I did, and at 8 3/4" it settled down.  

You might move the brace up or down and see if it works for you.  Don't be bashful about going outside the usual box to see what happens.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
hey jim, always like your advice. and i have just got back in the house from playing with the brace. i twisted it up and down...no difference. as bad as i hate to...i guess im gonna have to use the limbsavers, muskrat fur silencers, and soft side velcro in string grooves... i know im not being anal, like i said earlier, i know quiet and my hoyt gm2 is very quiet.but this bow is just louder than normal. i shot at a doe friday with the chekmate. the doe ducked the arrow at 15 yrds but then came right back like nothing was wrong...i know she had to hear that buzz...could it be my clicker? one thing i noticed is that this brand of clicker compared to the one on my hoyt( dont know which brand is which, but the one on the chekmate has a longer base) is very hard to pull to click...takes more effort, quite a bit.....

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »
I had a bow that buzzed and I used the fur balls on the strings and it still buzzed.  I installed the rubber spider legs and it made it a quiet bow.

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
Interestng that the brace height at different setting had "no" effect.  

Do you remove the chain from your clickers?  Seems like the chain should cause a "jingle" rather that a buzz.  :^)

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
yeah thats the first thing i do with clickers. i take the chain off, use release cord, and silence the clicker with felt.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
Try a diferent string material. I had a recurve that d97 buzzed. Went to TS1 and the thing was nice and quiet.
SL

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
I think Brently may be right...its probably the beaverballs.  Several of my bows had the same problem, the fur strips tend to loosen where woven through the string.  You might try a different silencer material (rubber, yarn, etc.) before doing more drastic changes.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Thin rubber or cork under the limbs and/or under the limb bolt washers?
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by bmb:
ok i have a new chekmate. its 56" long and 47# at my clicker( 25" ), and its braced at 8". i have a 10strand d97 on it with beaver balls, one brass nock and dental floss for the bottom nock point. so my problem-no matter if i have the efa quiver on or off, the bow has a buzzing sound. i can pluck the string and here it. if i hold the limb and pluck the string its deadened. do you think limbsavers would solve the problem?? the bow bareshaft paper tunes perfect. and my arrows weigh 500grs.? any solution
I had a hunter II a few years back that had the same issue.  No matter what I tried, it had a buzz to it.  Not only could you hear it, but it resonated through the riser.  I finally ended up changing string materials, changed to 8125, and it went away.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
well i solved the problem guys...it was the silencers. i looked at a how-to apex did awhile back. using yarn puffs for silencers and wrapping about 4inches on each end of the string....and WOW!! its silent. i even took my hoyt off the rack and wrapped it also....and now i have a lifetime supply of silencer for 4 bucks!

thanks guys for all the help.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©