Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ARM POSITION (DAMN!)  (Read 539 times)

Offline Bill Spangler

• Trad Bowhunter
ARM POSITION (DAMN!)
« on: October 21, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
I was shooting my recurve last night having a ball. Switched over to a long bow and bruised scraped the crap out of my forarm. I'd upload a photo if I new how. The armguard was down on my wrist for the recurve and for some reason I nailed my arm and the bruise and cut this morning is brutal. It's even worse because the shooting had been going so well.

Any ideas?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ARM POSITION (DAMN!)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
All your shooting should have a vertical elbow.  You can get away with a horizontal elbw  with a recurve --sometimes -- but a longbow will remind you to do it right.  When you hold the bow out as though to draw it and bend your bow elbow, the bow should come around in front of your chest, not go over your head.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Bill Spangler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
Hey, thank you. That was quick!

I'll bend the arm then. Don't know how a Bow can come "over the head"   :confused:   but I'll make sure to keep it around in front of my chest.

By the way...I just purchased a H Hill Sirraco.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Bill Spangler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
:(    Also...  

What is "Vertical Elbow" vs "Horizontal Elbow"  :knothead:  

I know, I'll keep reading the forumsbu t I just thought I'd ask.

Thank you.

Bill

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Seldom,

Kind of hard to explain but I'll try.  Pretend that you're holding a bow and are ready to draw. Hold your bow arm out toward an imaginary target then bend your arm.  If your arm goes up toward your head, your elbow is what I'd call horizontal.  If the arm instead comes around to your chest then the elbow joint is vertical.

Another try --  If the "pit" of your elbow is vertical or parallel to the bow that is what you wnat.  I don't know the physiology terms well enough to explain it better.  It is part of the "BEST" system taught to Olympic archers and important to having a steady bow arm.

I bet Viper or Terry Green can explain it better.

The "bending of the arm" is just a test that I suggested to see if your elbow is in the proper position.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
i think im on the same page....shoot with your bow arm elbow facing out...basically stick your bow arm out and hold your palm face down...that should put your elbow in the correct position and rotates your forearm away from the string...that is how i shot compounds and is also how i shoot trad gear.... basically just rest the bow in the web of the thumb...is this the correct way?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Seldom,

Kind of hard to explain but I'll try.  Pretend that you're holding a bow and are ready to draw. Hold your bow arm out toward an imaginary target then bend your arm.  If your arm goes up toward your head, your elbow is what I'd call horizontal.  If the arm instead comes around to your chest then the elbow joint is vertical.

Another try --  If the "pit" of your elbow is vertical or parallel to the bow that is what you wnat.  I don't know the physiology terms well enough to explain it better.  It is part of the "BEST" system taught to Olympic archers and important to having a steady bow arm.

I bet Viper or Terry Green can explain it better.

The "bending of the arm" is just a test that I suggested to see if your elbow is in the proper position.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Don't know where this last post came from.  Just a repeat of the earlier one.  I must have hit a key or something that caused the last post.  Sorry.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©