Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: ? For those left handed, right eye dominant  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Matt D.

• Trad Bowhunter
? For those left handed, right eye dominant
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
For those that are left handed but right eye dominant, which way do you shoot a bow?

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? For those left handed, right eye dominant
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
Matt,
I am right eye dominate and left-handed.  I shot a compound with sights left-handed (right eye closed) then switched to shooting right-handed, split fingered, and aiming instinctively (both eyes open) with the longbow and recurve.  I had shoulder surgery in the spring of 2008, switched back to left-handed last winter, and am currently shooting left-handed, three under (right eye closed), and using a gap aiming method.  For me, both methods work fine but are entirely different, though I can shoot moving targets and quicker right-handed, but am more accurate at longer distances left-handed.  It took a while to get used to shooting right-handed when I switched in the early nineties, now it is just starting to feel natural to shoot left-handed.

Whichever side you decide to shoot from, do yourself a favor and start with a light bow (35-40 pounds), develop good form and technique (use a video camera daily), and then ingrain the form and technique shooting at close distances (2-3 yards) using a blind bale.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 02:41:00 AM »
Some will say you must follow your dominant eye.  Myself, I am more accurate with fluid shots on my right side, but I can shoot slightly tighter groups left handed.  I am right handed and right eye dominant when I only shoot right handed, but because of a recent injury I am shooting left handed.  I have redeveloped my ability to have no dominate eye very easily.  I would say that if you can point the arrow all the way up with a spread draw and still have a good sense of where it is going, I would not worry about it.  I have seen some that can train their eyes easier than training their muscles, but still, go with whatever works best for you.

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I'm a lefty but right eye dominant and shoot everything right handed from longbows to guns. Everything else is done left handed (golf, baseball, writing, etc.) I have tried shooting left but I have to close my right eye to do so.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Matt,

I'm left eye dominant and shot right handed for a while.  Switched to left about a year and a half ago after eye surgery when my left eye took over so completely that I had trouble hitting a barn from inside it right handed.  The one thing I can tell you is that the last paragraph of Walt Francis' post is 100% correct.  

Jay Kidwell, in his book, says it doesn't matter which eye is dominant, but whether you agree with him or not, Walt is still right.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
FWIW, The way that it is taught now by Olympic Archers (who shoot out to 90 meters) is to shoot with the strong side or dominant side of the back, not the eye. If you are cross dominant, then you may want to use an eye patch to start out with which may help to develope the non-dominant eye.

Offline Bowana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
I'm left handed and right eye dominant. Been shooting a bow left handed since I was 8 and I'm 44 now. Never had any problems. I do ok so I'm not gonna switch now.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
Greetings Matt!

I am right eye dominant and made the switch to LH shooting after 30+ years of RH shooting this past September due to a chronic right shoulder challenge.

Technically, I am shooting the bow better than I ever have previously and I shoot with both eyes open.

Both of my children are right handed, but they both shoot LH because when I realized they were left eye dominant that is the path they were guided on.  And they *are* shooters!

Good luck with your decision!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline nwt_harvester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by BobCo 1965:
FWIW, The way that it is taught now by Olympic Archers (who shoot out to 90 meters) is to shoot with the strong side or dominant side of the back, not the eye. If you are cross dominant, then you may want to use an eye patch to start out with which may help to develope the non-dominant eye.
I think this should be taught to kids when they are starting out.  Ask them which method feels right.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
With my dominate eye.
I fail to see the relationship to FITA shooting,because I'm not using sights and they all are.
When shooting with sights in FITA archery you can just close one eye,the depth perception is not an issue,,,you already know the range.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Earthdog:
With my dominate eye.
I fail to see the relationship to FITA shooting,because I'm not using sights and they all are.
When shooting with sights in FITA archery you can just close one eye,the depth perception is not an issue,,,you already know the range.
In either case it is a limiting factor to keep one eye shut. If one eye is completely closed off to light, there is actually a dialating sympathy reaction to the open eye.

Offline Backquiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed, don't have a lot of problem but have shot that way a lonnng time.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Bobco,thanks for that.
I shot a right handed bow when I shot compound sighted even though I am left eye dominant.
I would at times close my left eye to try to clear up my sight picture and fast became aware it wasn't really working for me.
Your reply just explained why.
Thanks again.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
A buddy of mine I use to shoot with, was right eye dominant and left handed. He shot instinctive "left handed" and was one of the best shot's I've ever seen. Just do what feel's comfortable to you! Jason

Offline JF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
What walt sid worked for me .John

Offline ibehiking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
I am left handed and right eye dominant. I have chosen to shoot my recurves left handed and instinctive. I shoot my compound right handed with sights with my dominant eye. This has seemded to work well for me.

Offline BrokenArrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
I am Left handed and right eyed. I eat and write lefty, shoot bows and guns righty.

When I started Karate years ago, I discovered I was right footed...
>>>>----->

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
I'm in the right-handed, left-eyed boat too.  I'm just getting started with the trad thing, and only shooting 5-10 yrds so far.  As of now it hasn't been an issue, but do you think it will give me trouble as I start to back up?

I've always done everything right handed.  I can barely hit my mouth with a spoon in my left hand so I'm a little hesitant to make the plunge and go lefty, but if it will make me a better shot I'm willing to try.

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Ok, so the more I think about it the more I want to at least give the LH thing a try.  Problem is I don't have much to invest in a new bow.  Would a youth bow like the Crusader work to at least get me working on my form?

I figure at least that way if I don't make the switch I'm only out $20, or maybe one of my kids will end up using it.

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
I'm right handed, left eyed. I shoot left handed with both eyes open.

Cordination wise shooting left handed is easy. What I had to deal with was the dexterity needed to handle the arrow from the quiver to the string left handed. It worked itself out as I practiced my shooting.
Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©