Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Arrow hitting low (tunning)  (Read 492 times)

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow hitting low (tunning)
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
I set my bow up like Rick Welch teaches to tune the bow to hit where you are looking. So at 20yrds my arrows hits low, so you move the nock down to raise the impact, the problem is if my release isnt perfect my arrow smacks my shelf and has worn off the back outside edge of it and I can hear it.  I shoot split finger with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth. I use 5 1/2" feathers sheild cut and I touch the tip of my nose to the back of the feather.
 Is there something else I can do to raise the point of impact.
T
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow hitting low (tunning)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
You could just "reprogram" your brain by shooting a number of shots until your point of impact moves up, but you probably already know that.  If you decide to "reprogram," I would recommend doing bare shaft testing to locate your optimal nock point.  If you're going to have to reprogram anyway, might as well get a better flying arrow out of the deal.

Alternatively, you could use a lower anchor point, which will raise your point of impact.  Rick recommends the thumb knuckle on earlobe anchor, which for me is a lower anchor than the corner of the mouth (I have big ears).  If you didn't want to change your corner of the mouth anchor, you could use your index finger in the corner of your mouth.  This would probably raise your point of impact too much, but it sounds like you need to raise your nock point anyway, which would partially offset the lower anchor.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Dave
Thanks for the input. I think I will go the reprograming method but I just need to wait until the season is over. I dont want to retrain the brain in the middle of the season so I'll just have to grin and bear it for a little while longer. I think if I changes my anchor point that when the shot comes I may end up returning to old habits at the wrong time. That happened to me when I used to shoot both compound and trad I had a buck at 20yards with my compound in my hand and never even looked at the sight pin just picked a spot and missed oops.. havent shot the wheels after that day.
Thanks
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
"I may end up returning to old habits at the wrong time."

Funny you should mention that.  I changed to 3 under when I went to Rick Welch's class.  I shot 3 under at targets for the next four months.  I must have shot well over 3,000 arrows at targets 3 under, with nary a shot taken split fingers.  I forgot that I ever had shot anything other than 3 under.

But some part of me didn't forget.  The first shot I had at a deer this season, I shot about a foot over its back.  Why?  The last time I shot at a deer, I was shooting split fingers.  I never had shot at a deer before 3 under.  So when I had a shot at a deer, my hand naturally grabbed the string split fingers, without me thinking about it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©