Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: shooting at targets vs shooting at game  (Read 583 times)

Offline Clint T

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting at targets vs shooting at game
« on: October 30, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Anybody out there achieved stardom on the practice range AND IN THE FEILD??? We all tend to come around when it comes to targets but my struggle is GAME (ie... deer) Buck fever was not a problem with a wheelie bow but is a MAJOR OBSTACLE with traditional. Short draw,out of control release, 55 pound bow feels like 155 pounds are some of the trouble. All goes away though on targets. Need to figure out how to beat this or at least start making progress?!?!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting at targets vs shooting at game
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
Couple of suggestions althoug I'm not a star, just have lots of years at this.  

Shoot frequently out of your set up, stand, etc. with judo points to become familiar with the distances around stand.  I carry one with me and always fling a few in the afternoon before settling down to hunt.  Fling a few before leaving in the morning also.

DON'T look at the headgear on a buck.  Rather stare intensly at a little spot you can find on his vitals, a crease, fold, tuft of hair.  Same for a doe.  The harder you stare at it the easier the shot will be.  Visualize your arrow hitting this little spot.

Ironically when I draw on an animal the bow feels as weak as a rubber band the adrenalin is pumping so much.  

Allow several does or small bucks to walk around under your stand and don't shoot them.  Draw on them but don't shoot.  You basically are desenitizing yourself to having deer around you.  Then tell yourself "I'm not shooting this animal" and then shoot it when you are calmer.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
I got some VERY good advice today on just this subject.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=080096
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Clint T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Have you ever had someone hide behind a door and then jump out at you as you walk in and holler BOO!!!!! it makes you jump or flinch. That is what happens EVERYTIME I shoot at a deer just as my index finger approaches corner of my mouth (my anchor point). It is a reflex you have little control over. I shoot and practice up to 60 yards thru the summer but blow shots right under me all the time. Its nerves that break me down. I actually killed an 8pt weekend before last at 52 yards simply because animal was so far away it had no effect on me and I felt like I was shooting at a target with zero pressure. I know this aint the norm and everyone was like "why aint you happy"?? I know this aint something I can count on. Somehow I got to learn to calm down. But How????

Offline Pruneemac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
actually its easier for me to shoot at game. I try to hard to be perfect while shooting at targets while I have the mental picture "I'm gonna kill you" when I hunt. It's more automatic; a reaction rather than a thought process.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©