Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: switching lefty  (Read 1470 times)

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
switching lefty
« on: October 31, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Anyone which from righty to lefty due to target panic? I shoot righty but my left eye is dominate. Shot this way for lotsa years but the old TP is killing me. Don't like a clicker

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: switching lefty
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Good luck with your switch!

I switched to LH back in September due to a chronic right shoulder challenge.

Technically, I am shooting better than I have ever before.

BTW - I am right eye dominant.

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
Go for it.  I switched to LH from right, not because of tp but because after eye surgery I couldn't hit anything right handed.  I'm left eye dominant and it works much better LH.  Take your time, start with your lightest bow, or get a light one, and work your way up.  You won't regret it.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
I changed because of tp.  My advice is to make sure you concentrate on every aspect of your form on "every" shot.  Keep complete control.  Don't let the bugger bite you on the left side.

Switching was the best move I made in the last 25 years.  Should have done it much sooner.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I shot RH for years and was shooting before reaching anchor , target panic who knows . But if your left eye is lined up with the target you cannot come to full draw Left handed without everything being out of line. Like stated above start with a good light bow and work on form ,form and more form . It will come to a LOT quicker than you think by being Left eye dominant , never ever belive someone who says you don't need to shoot with your dominant eye. You can do it but why fight mother nature ? Good luck and stay in touch with Casto above he can keep you on the right track as he has been through it all .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
It seems that after 35 years of shooting off the right side I have trained my right eye to take over. In a dominate eye test I am still left eye dominate but I have to close my right eye when shooting lefty. Hopefuly, this will change. Jim, did you have this problem at first? Thanks.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Yes I did.  I used a patch over my right eye for the first week or so.  After that, I'd just squint a little.  Now, I can leave both eyes open--but don't always.  

I'd say in just a few days your left eye will take over.  You'll do fine.  Probably better than you anticipate.  The main thing is to concentrate on your form. If a lighter bow is in order, then get one, and use it for a while. Everything else will come along.  "Form is EVERYTHING!"  Good Luck to you.

Offline southpaw35

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
I actually just registered and logged into tradgang to post a reply.  You are excactly where I was about 6 years ago. Shooting right handed, left eye dominant and I had severe target panic.  It got so bad a stood in tree and actuall laughed at myself when I could not physically draw the bow for fear of missing a doe at 12 yards.....There was a lot of fustration for several years leading up to the laughing.

Anyway... I switched to lefty. got on ****, purchased a light weight bow and started over.  There has been no turning back from day one.  Honestly no target panic, no snap shooting, just plenty of plain old fun and 4 years running of conecting on deer in the field.  Even smoked a squirrel this fall which was better than shooting a moose.  I still cannot shoot a traditional bow right handed....my heart starts pounding when I near full draw...go figure...

Good luck

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Been shooting lefty 3 weeks now. When I really trying I can shoot 4" groups at 20 yards. I started shooting with 28 lbs and haved advanced to 35. I have a 40 lb Quinn on order. I picked up a lefthand Bob Lee riser off here and my limbs on this riser are 44 lbs. I will start shooting them in about 3 weeks or a month. No big jumps in weight. I can't believe how I can hold at anchor, get a site picture, kick in the back and release. Should have done this years ago. Still shooting with one eye closed though.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Good for you!  Don't let him come back.  Not even a hint.  Concentrate on every aspect of that form on each shot.  It really helps to let down a lot of times in your practice sessions too.  Just draw, frame the shot, expand, and let down.

Good Luck to you.

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
I have been shooting RH with a release since I lost all but half a pinky and thumb in meat grinder acccident. I am thinking of switching to lefty also so I don't have to use that stinking release. Sounds like it can be done with determination and practice.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Stick, I am in a position that I can shoot almost everyday. From shooting so long I know what to do, the trick is doing it. Very awkward at first but it comes pretty quickly. Start light and stay at it. Jim has great advice. It's working for me. Good luck and concentrate on every shot.

Offline stickhunter 81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
borrowed a lefty bear recurve this morning, feels pretty good getting a good anchor and hitting the insert on deer target at ten yards 9 out of ten times, both eyes open. Think I might really like this I should have tried 5 years ago

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
I just started the lefty experiment,myself. Right-eye dominant, but after battling TP since 1979, the fun has gone out of my archery. Though, I shot using a release this season, and that helped immensely. Kind of fun to get to full draw on an animal again. But to go to trad shoots, which I really enjoy, I need to get my fingers back on the string. Thus, the attempt at shooting lefty. I've gone the clicker route,but can't get it to work with an animal in front of me. Time for drastic measures. Good luck with your shooting!

Offline triple h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I switched to my dominant left eye and did it for the tp on the right side. I shoot 100% better. I agree with doowop in shooting light bow's. I have maxed out at 50lbs and don't even need that much for elk or deer. Shoot what feels good, and what you can anchor for a long period of time. Good luck

Offline nwt_harvester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
In my case I shoot left handed but I"m right eye dominant.  Everything is so much easier.  The funny thing is I had to come full circle over the course of 20 years to figure this out.  When I was a kid I shot left handed but as a teen shot right handed compounds and in my 20's right handed recurves. Now back shooting left handed and it feels great.  Funny thing is no matter how much I shot right handed and built up strength I was always way stronger shooting left handed.  and it felt better.  now i"m finding I can shoot way better this way too .  its just natural.

Offline Lazy Ike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Jim Castro..... You had given me some feedback before about switching to lefty to beat T P. I was wondering....If I do switch to a left hand bow what specific steps should I take to learn  the shot process on this side to keep that nasty bugger from coming back? I plan to get a 30 to 35 lb bow and figured I'd have to spend a lot of time at the bale , but do you recomend any specific exercises.

If any of you guys have any input, I'd appreciate it.Do you think there is a specific regimen to follow when someone learns to shoot that will keep T P from happening ?

I can shoot pretty well right handed with a clicker(upper 250's avg for NFAA indoor round) but I'd really like to get to the point that I can shoot almost that well or the same with no clicker.

Thanks

Ike

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Here it is - the *secret* to LH shooting - an integration of extremely helpful Trad Gang member dialogues - especially McDave - Rod Jenkins - Rick Welch - Anthony Camera - Fred Anderson - and the list goes on and on....
------------------------------------------
Repeat after me and then visualize it....

“This is *my* 12-step shot sequence for the perfect arrow.”

1.   Shoulders perpendicular to the target
2.   Nock an arrow
3.   Rest the bow
4.   Align the fingers
5.   Hook the string
6.   Inhale / exhale
7.   Draw / inhale
8.   Anchor on face
9.   Count…1001…1002 (Pick THE spot!)
10.     Expansion   FT with solid bow arm
11.     Conclusion   FT with solid bow arm
12.     Exhale           FT with solid bow arm

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I'm a natural lefty who was forced to be right handed.  I found it helps to have a nasty German lady standing behind you with a ruler. I still have issues with tall blonds ;-)

Good luck on the switch and the target panic

Matt

Offline JF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
I swiched, best thing I ever did for my shooting .John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©